Setting things on fire

I know the policy says we’re not to set things on fire; but can we set things on fire? I’d like to char some wood for a project…If it were done in the middle of the night with no one watching?

1 Like

Probably going to be a strong, No.

Hoping that your comment about doing it in the middle of the night with no one around is humor?

2 Likes

I’m not the rules expert, but we do set steel on fire in Blacksmithing. We have a vent hood and it was APPROVED by the fire marshal. I would say setting fire to wood deliberately needs to be done elsewhere.
The RAKU pottery folks have been known to burn wood for their pottery but offsite. The issue of smoke, partical contamination, and risk of setting other things on fire outweigh anything you want to show on your wood.

Lastly, doing this kind of thing in the middle of the night so no one knows is absolutely the wrong idea of how DMS works. A policy exists for a reason. Please abide by them.

2 Likes

Please don’t do that at the space unfortunately there are just some things we can’t do at the space like drink and table dance.

6 Likes

No worries people, thats why I asked. If I was the type of person to just break a policy I wouldnt announce it like I did. There is an element of humor in in that sentence; kind of like how the policy just states dont set things on fire, dont set each other on fire is kind humorous. It wasnt specific and I wondered about the usage of fire for creative techniques like I just learned is being used in blacksmithing. I actually expected someone to say something about how the security cameras would be watching.

4 Likes

What? No Table dancing?

2 Likes

It is one of the reasons alcohol is banned.

1 Like

Uhm, not any longer. But I would be happy to buy you a beer at a local pizza place. If you feel the need to jump on the table, I’m not going to stop you.

2 Likes

You weren’t spared to tell anyone, Tim!

Ugghh…no. Have you seen his legs? They are printed from ABS. Now if he had used PLA, then, maybe…

1 Like