Setting the origin on the thunder laser

I need a little help setting up the origin on the thunder laser. My question is what does the origin button set when pressed, does it set the top left corner of the cut, the center, or what? I can never get my cuts squared up properly.

Move to the spot you want with the directional buttons. Then hit origin, and then enter.

Annnd done

1 Like

So when I hit enter does it make the current spot the center, or the corner.

It sets the current location as the upper LH corner of your file.

EDIT: Note that this is the corner of your file. If there is blank space, it may not be the corner of what you intended to cut/engrave.

1 Like

Two suggestions, depending on how precise you need it to be.

If it doesn’t need to be perfect, use the FRAME button to see where it thinks the rectangular perimeter of your file is. You can tweak the placement of your work piece so the frame traces exactly along the edge of your work piece. If necessary put an extra rectangle into your file that matches the size of your workpiece and use that frame to align your workpiece. Make that outer rectangle some other color and set the power to 0 so it doesn’t cut.

If it needs to be perfect, then you should cut a “fixture” right before you cut your workpiece. Put a larger sheet of sacrificial cardboard onto the bed of the laser. Tape the edges into place so it doesn’t move. Laser cut a hole in the center that matches the perimeter of the workpiece you really want to cut. After cutting the cardboard, carefully remove the cutout - put your workpiece in the cutout, refocus, then cut/engrave your “real” job.

2 Likes

Entirely dependent on file settings

Ooh, that’s a valid point I had neglected to consider.

Is it fair to say that unless set otherwise, it typically defaults to upper LH corner?

Usually that is a safe assumption

1 Like