Session time limits?

Hey, I hadn’t been up to here in a few months. Noticed we are down to one good working nova laser again.

I remember back in the day it was like a 90min limit or be nice and share in between cuts with other people waiting. A lady was nice enough to let me get my quick cuts in, as she said she would be several hours, but wasn’t comfortable with sharing due to setting differences and hadn’t been asked that before. I felt bad as i had 4 jobs that were 2-5min each. I guess when we had 3 working nova lasers it wasn’t that big of a deal.

Wasn’t sure if rules had changed as so much has changed in the last few years.

No, the rules are still the same in that regards.
If your cut is going to take more than 30 min or so, you should consider (read as, should) letting others do some quick cuts on between. Although we do allow the lasers to be used for business runs technically, it is not their intended purpose and someone doing so/needing to make hours worth of cuts does get lower priority.

Once the lasers are moved we’re going to be implementing a better queue/wait-list system probably. We should have the second thunder back up and running in another couple days.

1 Like

“No rules are still the same in that regards.”

Sorry didn’t understand this part.
Are you saying there is no time limits anymore?

I’ve been here for many years. That’s why I was asking for the clarification, as last that I knew there was a limit per session if people are waiting. Like go for an hour or so, let someone else go. Then jump back on if no one else was wanting. But as leadership changes, I know the rules tend to as well.

The only problem about the business part, is how is anyone going to know? That’s why I always thought the original time limits a long time ago were set, for people who sit on it all day. Like it’s fine to use it for an hour or so, then let someone else go, then get on again. As soft rules about priorities make it really hard for anyone to determine what the real rules are.

1 Like

Sorry, edited last message - voice dictation is failing me today :slight_smile:

And that is why we generally will have a rough session limit, if someone is working for more than an hour, they can take a break and someone else can use it for a few.

much appreciated.

There are multiple computers that can drive the laser. Just use a different one than the existing user is using and that should keep the settings segrageted. Any reason this wouldn’t work? Explain this to the original user and things should be smooth.

@jsnowfreedman will there be insurmountable network issues with this idea?

Many of the users are more worried about getting the focus right, and alignment and stuff - not the settings of their file specifically.

It is so wonderful having broken gear in you area:)

I didn’t mean share computers, just the laser as you can send jobs from any of the computers there and digital settings are isolated to your file.

I knew my jobs were fast and be done before they were ready to load the next file. I could care less about precision as i just toss the 3d print focus puck under, as it’s close enough for my needs.

1 Like

IRRC the old rule was if you are close to the 90 minutes, you aren’t supposed to be starting a long job that would extend you well past that time correct? Instead they have to stop use and add themselves to the queue again?

That sounds about right. The cue hasn’t really been used much recently, and probably needs to be revisited a little bit but that is what I would consider at least courteous to other members.

Yeah, between the pandemic depleting members and having 3-4 functioning machines, no one really has had to wait except for the big thunder if they had large cuts. I think people got out of the habit of using the board to add their name for the queue