Serverroom Storage

My original objective was to bikeshed this thread…
Now that it has turned to buying server cabinets for the server room storage situation, lets go down that path…
How about some surplus wire shelves for that locked room for pennies instead? If you want server racks, how about these for $13?
https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,tx/auction/view?auc=2063938
You’ll have to drive to Houston to pick them up though.

2 Likes

I can probably obtain a handful of racks already local for free. Another source that has more often donates spares to non-profits and volunteer groups anyway.
Edit: albiet most of them are probably going to be APC Netshelters rather than the Dell cabinets

1 Like

Problem being that we do not have that kind of storage for a cabinet like that.

The ones I’m looking at are for mounting on the upper part of the walls and installing one or two 9in 3u locking drawer

1 Like

If the current server room does not have room for a full size rack cabinet or two maybe the other space will after expansion and the bulk of the servers can be moved over there and the existing server room would be basically a wiring hub for the existing suite with some smaller gear like the firewalls, existing switches, etc. Just run some fiber and copper uplinks between the two telecom/server rooms and link them together.

2 Likes

I’d liked to see some data sheets on power, cooling, and wiring before that could be considered.

It would also be good to have some bids for re-wiring the networking cabling that’s become a rats nest in the ceiling especially bids that include proper cable management racks and drops though out the space in strategic locations

1 Like

Or just go wireless?? (Or mostly wireless)

Server rooms really shouldn’t be storage rooms though.

1 Like

It started out a rat’s nest… including droppings.

I don’t think cleaning up the wiring in the front half of 104 would be money well spent, but if we ever want to raise the drop ceiling in the back half of 104 we should look into doing wiring racks back there.

4 Likes

lol… stan that was a very cheesy sense of humor :smiley:

I agree the back half would be the best to look into and planning for 102 as well so we have a fresh start there.

Or just go wireless?? (Or mostly wireless)

One cannot run POE over wireless… well not without oversized tesla induction coils and cancer causing levels of EM radiation.

Server rooms really shouldn’t be storage rooms though.

Then infrastructure needs storage space in the 102 building not an additional server room.

Historically that room has been used for secured locked storage by the space for a few things additional to servers. Same for the electrical room in the back. In either case those have been a point of contention and concern overall.

1 Like