Sept 12 2015 Open House - Administrative questions

I’d like to know the current membership prices just in case someone asks.

Oh yes, I’d also like a copy of the map (which I can get Saturday morning) so if people want to know where something is, I can point it out to them.

$50/month for normal membership (or $540/year), $35/month for students/retired/unemployed, $10/month for additional family members (requires a “normal” membership to attach to).

For more details: http://dallasmakerspace.org/join/

Wow, I’m retired and have been paying $50 … guess I’m donating an extra $15/mo. Money well spent.

2 Likes

This doesn’t really apply to you, since I know you already are one of those who help out, but I think it is worth mentioning here that the reduced rate membership comes with the expectation that you would do more to help the space and offset your reduced rate with additional benefits provided in a non-monetary way.

Frankly, I think all members should be providing these ‘extras’, particularly if they are the minority that actually spend time in the space. But I think the bolded portion below should be emphasized to any potential member that asks about the starving hacker rate.

4 Likes

I agree about the volunteer effort to make things better and help others. It comes in various forms. A day ago I was working on, basically struggling and destroying some LEDS trying to get equal brightness. Another Maker took the time to help me, but more importantly he explained educated me (white and all) what was going on and how to balance the between different loads the various colors LED’s.

This is the kind of thing that really sets the Maker Space mentality part for other organizations.

I’m sure Stan at times when he sees me wonders “No what the heck doesn’t he understand.”

Thanks to lots of folks that people each other.

2 Likes

Is there a latest copy of the map on the Wiki reflecting the changes made in the Warehouse area?

And what other administrative questions remain that haven’t been answered yet?

@AlexRhodes and @Robert_Davidson is there a Meetup Group that describes this event?

BTW, since tonight is a tour Open House, it might be good to take notes of the questions asked and notice what attracts the visitors the most - kind of like a small scale rehearsal.

JAG “Walter Will Be Holding A Demo On Asteroid Mining” MAN

2 Likes

I don’ think anything has been updated on the wiki to reflect the new changes.

We have a meetup event created http://www.meetup.com/dallasmakerspace/events/221049055/

Alex,

Thanks for the Meetup Link!

I just posted the event to my NextDoor.Com board. (it hits nearly 3,000 households total in my neighborhood +15 nearby hoods - it is a great community resource, BTW)

Here are a few older maps that at least can help orient. (just explain to people that we recently reorganized) Or someone can download and edit accordingly - I haven’t been in the space since Brandon, Kent and Associates reorganized.

JAG “Cartography Section” MAN

1 Like

The new layout isn’t much different.

2 Likes

There’s a map in the pamphlet visitors get when they come in on Saturday. It also has a schedule of events for the day and where they’re located.

4 Likes

Mellissa,

I probably missed this part, but as members, do we get any stinkin’ badges to identify us for the visitors? Make our own? Wear shiny tin hats?

JAG “These Are The Protocol Droids You Are Looking For” MAN

Duct tape and a sharpie.

2 Likes

I wanted to make “I’m a Dallas Maker” buttons but completely ran out of time. :person_frowning:

I’d encourage everyone to wear DMS shirts if you have them. Pearce is doing a new run on Saturday that I’m so excited about and shirts will be available for sale that day.

3 Likes

Saw his 2 screens last night and really stoked about getting (at least) one of each design. Two thumbs way up for @PearceDunlap and @macapaka for getting those going. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just realized looking at those thumbs I have two left hands…

3 Likes

Volunteers are supposed to get shirts identifying them as such, but I haven’t heard how that’s going.

"KentamanosBoard Member24m
MellissaRhodes:
Pearce is doing a new run on Saturday that I’m so excited about and shirts will be available for sale that day.
Saw his 2 screens last night and really stoked about getting (at least) one of each design. Two thumbs way up for @PearceDunlap and @macapaka for getting those going. thumbsup thumbsup

I just realized looking at those thumbs I have two left hands…"

those shirts are different from the ones that are being provided for the people volunteering. the shirts being made for volunteers needed to be submitted for sizes a while back because they were special ordered.

sneak preview of the new shirts-

2 Likes

@Opcode Shirts will be available to volunteers helping out with their committees on Saturday morning.

1 Like

I’ll be there to help with signing people up (and any other Infrastructure things that come up), especially those that qualify for the Starving Hacker rate.

Excited for the day guys. Let’s do this!

2 Likes