Seeking source for pin chuck

I need to buy a reliable and precise pin chuck; i.e, a pin vise that can be inserted into a larger drill press (or in my case, Sherline mill). It needs to securely hold fairly small bits (#76 - #80), and its shank has to be 3/8" or less (although I would prefer 1/8" if possible). Anyone have suggestions where I could buy this?

I have one - probably intended for Dremel - but either I can’t get the bit in there straight or it wobbles.

Try this chuck, I’ve used it on my Sherlines and it works pretty good for a tool under $10. Caution, it is an adjustable Metric tool. Ha Ha! The Amazon listing offers various sizes in black and aluminum finish. Get 2 of them for under $15, one in each finish.

Metric Mini Chuck

The listing says you can use it with your milling cutters, haven’t tried that yet.

1 Like

MSC has several types and sets. Of course, they are more expensive than anyone else. here is the link: pin vises

2 Likes

I bought this, and while it holds tiny drills, I can’t figure out how to use it.

The drill chuck has a removable hex shaft on it. The threads on the shaft open and close the jaws. About 3/4" of thread length is required to fully close the jaws. However, my morse taper arbor that attaches to my drawbar only has about 1/4" of thread so it doesn’t even begin to engage the jaws. If I put it into my drill chuck, I don’t have enough Z-height to use it.

Thoughts please?

1 Like

Parts are inter-changable between all of Sherline’s products. Buy a taller z axis and lead screw. That will give you 3 more inches of clearance at least. That’s what I did on my mill at home.

1 Like

OK, got it. Thanks.

1 Like

As an interim hack, you could make a couple different length spacers, slightly smaller than the root diameter of the thread to insert between the chuck and taper, to cause the jaws to engage.