Seeking advice for mounting an image to wood

I am stumped. For the life of me, I cannot figure out a solid way to apply a color image to wood?

I would like to affix a color image to a 30x30 piece of 1/4" wood (solid, maybe plywood - not sure mdf core or veneer yet). Not sure which material to use yet, just trying to figure out the best way to :

1. get the image 30x30
  2. affix it to the wood

Does anyone have any advice or direction to offer? I’m hoping someone may? Until then I’ll keep lookin around.

I’ve considered gluing a large print and using mod podge to “varnish” it but == my next step is the laser so I need something laser safe. I am unsure how the modpodge/image would hold up with the laser

Thanks!

you can use a polyester finish on the wood the imprint with Dye Sublimation.

I don’t think this is what you want, but Cindy was doing some interesting work transferring images to wood back in '17…

I don’t know if she’ll respond to summons here or not, but if so, she might elaborate on techniques, if that interests you…

1 Like

30" x 30" is larger than we can print or press at the 'Space.

1 Like

3M super 77 spray adhesive (a contact cement) would work for affixing it to whatever material you need
Cheers!

So, I know you can iron transfer laser prints from glossy paper to wood/metal…I’ve only ever tried it with black ink…wonder if it would work with color?

You could also look at doing the image in 4 pieces so you could use transfers and make water slide decals. Lining them up would be tricky, but not impossible.

There’s also this:

1 Like

That guy is totally channeling Bob Ross.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness. I’m still a person! Or at least I was in March. And I need to come home. See you all soon.

(I’ve played with several options over my time away. Happy to share what I know.)

1 Like

you can also play with a printer’s settings and overload the page with ink, then transfer it to wood with an iron. You might have to tape the backs of the papers together to get a 30"x30"

If you can find someone who has a UV ink flatbed printer, that’d do it. There is at least one local company printing on cornhole boards that might be worth contacting. I don’t have their name.