SCUBA interest?

Once upon a time I did quite a bit of scuba diving, but stopped back in the 90’s. I’ve become interested in picking it up again. Is there anyone at Makerspace that is also interested?

I am somewhat active.
I am actually have 2 trips coming up

U-352 -

6 Likes

Those both look pretty cool! I’ve read about Bonne Terre. I’ve outgrown my wetsuit.

1 Like

I have some interest. SCUBA SIG maybe?

Afraid to try mine on :slight_smile: Definitely would want a gear refresh I think. My dive computer is 10+ years old :scream:

Scuba toys is right down the street. They have great options and pretty decent pricing. Though I tend to rent as I tend to do destination scuba as there is not much near DFW.

1 Like

That’s probably how I’d look at it now. Bought my own gear when I lived in Austin and we dove Lake Travis frequently.

I took my training in the Bonne Terre mine. It is cold and you need a ton of weight with those thick wet suits.

1 Like

I got my NAUI certificatiion in 1979. I dove in lots of places in the Caribbean, Mexico, some in the Gulf off the coast of Texas (the flower gardens) and some off the coast of Florida. I also dove in some lakes including Travis and other smaller ones in Texas. I serviced shrimp boats in my home town of Freeport, Texas cutting and untangling them from their nets. I was also a part of the Brazoria County React Unit which recovered the bodies of people who skydived off of the inter-coastal waterway bridge. I used my diving skills to recover them from sunken vehicles, too.

SCUBA, Sailing, Fishing, Surfing and sand were my life back then. I lived on the coast and there was no limit to the fun you could have in the water.

I haven’t, however, dove in many years now. I’m not nearly the swimmer I was then. (I was a competitive swimmer in high school) I would be interested in the group, but I haven’t put on a wetsuit, a dive regulator or tank in years. The closet I’ve come recently was snorkeling off the coast of Mexico in Cozumel.

1 Like

Term is refreshing! But yes you need a 5-7mm suit or a dry suit.

You might be surprised. Far as I can tell, although the new computers are smaller, more sophisticated, and designed better the old ones still function pretty well.

Out here near Terrell we have Clear Springs Scuba Park. It costs a little but I’d like to go when it is warmer and brush up on my scuba.

1 Like

I vote yes. I took the super intro class and I had a toy hit me straight in the face because I didn’t have contacts. Now I have contacts. I would love to learn.

I am interested I have regs and a vest. Going to take basic shortly so I can dive on an upcoming cruise. I did a resort class in Mexico and it was a blast but I don’t know anyone that dives so it would be nice to have some people to go with.

I’m interested in this as well. I originally got my PADI open water cert in '92 (old scuba park at Lake Travis), but didn’t do much with it until early 2000s, when the bug hit me again. The majority of my dives have been low visibility “swamp” dives, in Texas lakes, but I do have some dives in Mexico and Belize. I ended up switching to NAUI and got my nitrox, advanced, rescue (my favorite course to date), and training assistant. (was working towards DM) I’ve helped out with several OW, advanced, and rescue courses at Clear Springs Scuba Park and Lake Travis.

I enjoy diving the blue waters of the Caribbean, but my favorite dive (memorable) has to be 110’ down at Lake Travis, in the pecan grove. It’s kind of eerie to be in “Windex” clear water (but zero sunlight), and come up on old pecan trees, that far down.

Having a SIG for this, may be what I need to unpack my gear and get it serviced and my tanks hydro’ed.

I didn’t realize I’d get this much response on my OP. Should we figure out a time to meet and see if we can support a SIG?

1 Like

I was there (scuba toys) a week ago before my ‘work’ trip to Cancun because I needed snorkel gear. Ended up buying way more than I needed of course, but they did have good deals going :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I don’t anticipate that we would have any instructors, but you can never tell at DMS. Likely will need to go to a dive shop for the certification. I was hoping to find dive buddies, but we could socialize and come up with some programs on fish, travel, photography, etc.

I’m good with it however it might happen. I’ve seen specials via groupon a few times for certification training.

When you are ready, let me know. I have an instructor that I can recommend.

1 Like

Im learning this summer with one of my friends then looking for spots!

PADI or NAUI ? And what’s the cost of the class? I was going to do it at scuba toys.