[Scrubbed: Weather - Next Shot 5/30/2020] - Launch today! Space nerds holiday

I think they are willing to just about do anything for a chance at this. What an amazing day to look forward to (again) Here’s a cute little outfit I made my son for “dress as your future day”. Made it from a thrift store jacket - was totally trashed by the end of the day but at least I have a picture.

5 Likes

So cute!

What a great smile!

1 Like

Suits were modified after this launch “incident”
http://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/spaceflight/life-in-orbit/alan-shepard-pee-pants/

Love the name for what is essentially an astronaut Depends for EVA.

Confound it!
Got involved elsewhere and completely missed the liftoff!

It was awesome. I got all up in my emotions.

1 Like

Yeah…when it hit max-q, I cried a little.

1 Like

Indeed. While all the talking heads were, um, braiding their own hair on the live feed, I checked out the NBC upload. Very emotional.
Then Elon came back on and ruined it. I thought Trump was irritating…
Um
Rocketships lifted off from Cape Canaveral with real people today. It was GREAT! (trying to end on a +)

We had nasa tv on YouTube. Didn’t even realize the president spoke. It was/is fantastic coverage.

2 Likes

I’d love the link, because I, too, was watching NASA channel on yootoob and they did the thing with the astronauts having dinner, and then cut to a press conference with Pence and Trump flapping their gums.
I pretty well tuned out at that point, but left it on the background for another hour before I had other stuff to do. WIll probably tune back in occasionally to see if the docking appears to be going off as planned (but I’ll probably miss that, too and be forced into re-runs!)

1 Like

On that very link, they’re “go” for docking, 420m away…

EDIT: 1 minute to go…

EDIT: incoming…

(sorry, couldn’t seem to time one of the “Draco” thrusters…)

EDIT: approach

EDIT: inside 20 meters

EDIT: Soft capture confirmed:

1 Like

I woke my son up and we watched it together. It was wonderful. Now were just waiting on the whole parade/ceremony.

I couldn’t get over how poorly painted that red stripe was! I know that’s awful of me to say but honestly, I was blown away that it’s not as sharp as the rest of the whole parade. Flat earthers would say it’s because it’s a miniature I’m sure.

3 Likes

It’s not painted. It’s a seal. That’s where the nose cover meets the body of the vehicle when it’s closed.

Likely a high temperature gasket material. Has to keep the plasma out during re-entry.

2 Likes

Now I feel like a real a-hole.
I apologize to the makers of the fancy seal for my opinion formed in ignorance.

3 Likes

Easy mistake. In vacuum depth cues are much harder to come by. I know what it is because I pay a lot of attention to SpaceX. But if you haven’t see that before, you probably would not realize that’s a groove. Part of the slop is the edge of said groove. And the uneven width appearance is just the angle.

2 Likes

FYI - The Frontiers of Flight Museum down at Love Field will be open to the public starting June 1st. They have on display the actual Apollo 7 space capsule. Great field trip.

3 Likes

Been there. Seen that.

And 14’s Command Module in the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

Have yet to see 11’s in person. It’s on my list. But there’s a wretched hive of scum and villainy surrounding the museum that currently houses it.

I will have to make it back to KSC one of these days to see Atlantis up closer. Last time I saw her she was climbing away from 39A on STS-132. The day before when we got to see the rotating service structure swing back though was one of the most awesome parts of that trip. I got to see that from where the new SpaceX hangar is now. 1500 feet to a real live space ship.

( A friend was writing a science column for the Waco newspaper at the time. He got to cover the launch. I went as his photographer. )

4 Likes

Cool I was at STS-132 running the tech side of NASA’s tweetup and tours of the VAB/launch center.

4 Likes

I’m still kicking myself. The last day we were there, I left my wallet back at the hotel. In Kissimmee. ( lesson learned on far away hotels… )

Had I had it with me, I could have toured those two buildings. Which I REALLY wanted to do.

1 Like

We hosted our prom with them. Always thought it would be a perfect wedding spot.

2 Likes

The white tent to the right of the countdown clock was a free TweetUp. We had at least 4 then current and a couple retired astronauts, the alternate mission director, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Xeni Jardin, Miles O’Brien and many twitter luminaries there.

1 Like