Scraps and clamps

I need to do a small (torch) soldering project and need a couple items for clamping. Thanks in advance for any advice.

1. Do we have any scraps of aluminum (or steel) bar? I need a couple pieces about 1/2" x 1/4" x 2-3" … Dimensions aren’t critical. I’m glad to contribute to MS if we have something.

2. Can anyone suggest a source for metal spring clamps similar to this, preferably with solid jaws? (i.e., without teeth and without PVC/rubber) Jaw capacity only needs to open to about 1" - more is OK.

1 Like

I ‘think’ there is a 1/2" rod in my personal bin. It’s at eye level on the right hand side of bin alley. help yourself.
The woodworking spring clamps have a smooth rubber jaw and the rubber jaw is removable.

2 Likes

Dunno the size of your piece (guessing small knowing you) :slight_smile: but would hemostats work? I probably can lay my hands on mine if you’re interested, or they’re really cheap on amazon

1 Like

Thanks, but I need to clamp the aluminum scraps to the bunsen burner stand upon which I hard solder. Sorta like vise jaws …

1 Like

Would thinner work? I have some 16 gauge mild steel and some 1/16" aluminum (I believe that’s the aluminum thickness).

Are rough edges from the plasma cutter OK?

Nah, thinner isn’t a good solution. But Tim B. has some scrap that will work for me. Thanks.

2 Likes