Scientific Computing Classes Available

Attention! Science has two brand new (and introductory) upcoming computing classes, starting on the 28th and the 29th. Classes and class materials will be recorded and made available online on dallas makerspace’s online learning site. This means that you can sign up for these classes without worrying about falling behind if you miss one. You can also do it at your own pace, since the videos are always going to be there; however, attendance is encouraged so you can ask questions and hang out with other people at the space.

The first class we have coming up is Time Series Analysis with R, Pt: 1, which is a course about analyzing time dependent data. Time series data could be your energy bills, signals from a device, stock prices, sales data and much more. Time series are everywhere; therefore, it is useful to know how to analyze it and make forecasts.

The next class we are offering is Git Gud at NumPy and Linear Algebra Pt 1: Vectorization, Matrices and You, which is a course about the NumPy python linear algebra library. There are all sorts of computer science and software topics that will be covered in this course, despite its limited focus on a specific library. What makes this course different from others you’ll find online is that you learn by doing. Students design there own minimal implementation of NumPy that I have chosen to call “MakerNumPy”. Again, this will be recorded and materials will be made available online so you can follow along with the class or go at your own pace and just hang out.

I hope that some of you will find these classes interesting and I look forward to seeing those who have already signed up!

Thank you for your time!

Kevin

3 Likes

Sounds interesting. What’s the format?

The class is recorded and uploaded online. All class materials will also be available online. No prior knowledge of programming or numerical computing is assumed. Showing up in person is encouraged for asking questions and for using lab computers that already have a development environment setup. We only have 6 lab computers though, so Ill probably upload a video on how to set up a good development environment thatll be cross-platform.

1 Like