Say goodbye to Electronic Discount Sales

@childofthehorn & I went down to Electronic Discount Sales (EDS) in Arlington, which we do every few months, and were shocked to see “Store Closing, 80% Off Everything” and many fixtures already gone (some of which we made off with ourselves, namely a few neon signs, a couple aprons worn by employees, & old posters such as for the Cyrix 6x86 processor. :stuck_out_tongue:) The owner wishes to retire from running a retail business of that scale.

If you can make it out to Arlington, they expect to be open only another 7-10 more days. There’s quite a bit left, mostly odds & ends though, but also a bunch of old machines from their Computer Museum that could be very interesting to the Retro Computing Club (heads up @Metaldust), from which I scored a TI-99 and a Tandy CM-11 CGA monitor. They still have a TRS-80, a vintage AT&T workstation, several very old laptops of various brands, and retro Palm devices (though not a Palm IIIc :frowning:).

We also grabbed things for the Electronics Room, such as a partial spool of industrial-grade heat shrink, a lot of DIP switches, and hundreds of yellow LEDs. Sadly, someone had already made off with the logic analyzer they wanted $200 for but I’d have been happy to give them $40 for.

Also, for those of you in the glassworking area who may be reading this, I placed one of the neon signs high atop one of your shelves because one of the letters broke as I was walking the sign into DMS (grrrrrr). It’d be cool if we have a neon-smith in Glassworking who could fix it or someone who knows a neon-smithing shop.

This was a great store, and we’re sad to see it go.

2 Likes

Aww I grew up with Electronic Discount. You could find all sorts of obscure stuff and old software there. Last time I went though it was pretty messy, you can buy old G5 macs, 4u server cases, CRT TVs . New technology is so cheap I could imagine they can’t stay in business any longer.