Sanding small wood live edge rounds

I’m working on a project for my daughter’s wedding. I would like to sand some small round wood slices. They are already cut. I just need to make them a bit more smooth. Is anyone available to guide me on the best way to do this (and also DMS approval to use any necessary equipment in the woodshop)? Thanks in advance. Carla

@Team_Woodshop

How small are the wood slices?

Some are as small as 3" in diameter and others as large as 5".

For the tools in the woodshop, you will need to take a Woodshop Safety & Orientation class to use them. The class is offered somewhat often [depends on the number of teachers putting up classes each month]; I need to figure out my schedule but plan on putting up another class later this month [@BirdMan & @dougbcave both do 1-on-1 classes so they might be able to help you out sooner].

The easiest way to smooth them out would be to use the orbital sander - depending on the number, it will just take some time.

We have a drum sander that might be the best option for the cookies… but we wood have to see them…

Do you see that I did there ?

I would get some double-sided wood turners tape and affix the slices to a larger board. That will help you a lot for sanding regardless of which tool(s) you use for sanding.

I do this all the time and that tape is plenty strong.

2 Likes

I will look for the orientation class. TY

No orientation classes for the woodshop for the next two months. Is this common? How am I to get cleared to use the equipment in the woodshop when there are no classes?

Keep looking. Generally classes are put up for maybe 2 weeks ahead max. The Traditional Woodcarving is a special case.

There are a few woodshop teachers already on this thread, so one of them should probably post a class soon-ish.

Thank you for your response. I will be patient. :slight_smile:

@KG5BZN No, there is a huge flaw in our calendar software. When someone goes to post a class they have zero idea if someone else posted a class the next day or the prior day. The teachers know when you know. We have zero ways to know what the demand might be. How many people joined in the last week, month, etc. I hear that it is on the list of projects for Infra.

1 Like

Thank you for that explanation.