Sandblaster Safety and Troubleshooting Tips

This should be the one we have. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200625147_200625147

We didn’t cheap out, but it probably just needs some more TLC to make sure the seals haven’t been destroyed and check on the filter for the collector.

3 Likes

It is fully operational. The filter was cleaned yesterday.

6 Likes

Any suggestions, y’all?

ANY particulate mask will be better than none.
These are the kind I like for anything not involving vapors.
But you can always go “better”

The former is really only good for particulates (and perfectly suitable to this use). The latter can be fitted with various filters, pre filters, and cartridges depending on what you are doing, but honestly, I think, is overkill for using this sandblaster, especially if the thing is working properly (when little to no dust will be emitted and any mask becomes simply “not a bad idea”).

EDIT: to add: I am quite sure others have more informed opinions than my own, so I’m open to criticism and correction.

1 Like

Thanks soooo much @jast!!! …and BONUS ~ now I know what a half face respirator is! (I had intended to Google it the last time I saw mention of one… Bleeping :squirrel: got the best of me! :wink: )

1 Like

One more point I did not make in the previous post:
IF you are concerned about filtering “all the stuff” from the metal shop room while sandblasting (as opposed to being concerned SPECIFICALLY about the sandblaster) the latter is the better choice, as it can be equipped for fume/vapor filtration, which is approved for welding fumes. To be honest, the welding fume extractor does a great job, but if you want to be sure…

1 Like

Those fumes had crossed my mind several times before; but, for whatever reason not while posting my question… :confused:

Very good point! I may look into it. That would help with the problems I have trying to breath in the Woodshop around certain woods, too!

Thanks Bunches!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lisa, I use a 3M 6500QL. They’re sized, so you’ll need to go somewhere that you can try on all the different sizes so you’re sure you get one that fits right and doesn’t leak.

From there, you can navigate this chart from 3M to figure out which filter/pre-filter combination you want. The nice thing about these masks is that you can switch them from paint to particulate to lead abatement by just swapping out the filters.

A 60926 filter with a 2091 prefilter will cover just about everything you’re reasonably be expected to encounter.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you’ve never used a respirator before, it’s not like wearing one of those disposable masks. It takes some serious effort to breathe in when you’re wearing one, so don’t start with it on a hot day in a hot place. If you feel like you’re getting faint, it’s because you’re not breathing in hard enough, and not getting enough O2. Go out of the room where you’re wearing the respirator, take it off, breathe deeply, drink some water, etc.

3 Likes

Thanks @bknapp!

That’s actually less expensive than I expected!

I wore one once to paint… After watching the following video, it’s clear that I wasn’t wearing it quite right! :dizzy_face:

Thanks again!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: