Sale price for space bus?

We have a board member back up the thread that said it was sold over this last weekend.

4 Likes

You’ll find the minutes here: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20180820

2 Likes

Resolution to dispose of it in August:

Sell SpaceMobile (David Kessinger)

Problem : We are not using it, repair costs are too high, monthly cost to rent storage space.

Solution : Sell SpaceMobile.

Motion was unanimous:

7.6 Sell SpaceMobile (David Kessinger)
Motion: Sell Ford E350 "Space Bus". All proceeds will be allocated to the General Fund.
Proposed by: Kris Anderson
Seconded by: David Kessinger
Call for vote
- In favor: Unanimous
- Opposed:
- Abstain:
Motion Passes

…ninja’ed by Luke!

@Photomancer suggested it was sold on Saturday.

2 Likes

I’m happy it “sold”, but I do have some questions so we can ensure there was no private inurement. I only had about a month in Dallas before I moved at the point in which we voted on selling it.

5 Likes

The board did vote to sell it awhile back. The sale happened Sat or Sun, was listed on Craig’s List 23 hours ago.

2 Likes

FYI (and really for no reason) For the CA garage sale I believe we priced things fairly (for a garage sale), kicked out everyone till exactly 1:00p before hand to avoid any idea of self dealing, posted it on Craigslist and with another makerspace, and searched out answers to questions from the board a few times when we needed clarity.

I just want to establish what we did for the future if someone is looking to do the same.

18 Likes

As always, top notch work. I think you would make a great board member.

7 Likes

Right so you tried to make it a fair chance for everyone to be able to see and make a bid.
Thank you for going through the effort.

It does not appear to be the case for the spacebus.

4 Likes

I assure you thats not going to happen right now. But I really appreciate the vote of confidence.

I can’t shoulder what the board does without upping my medications.

7 Likes

Let me take a guess in as it’s pretty much the same thing every incident I am on with this BOD — a member of it or some other person in a leadership role.

Did not do any of the work actually to sell it and said hey buddy (friend or associate (DMS member)) I am going to give you a great deal, so I don’t have to deal with this problem anymore. Without any consideration of the legal/ethics of there actions.

2 Likes

:eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:all eyes on this. If something is sold shouldn’t all members be notified and give the option to to bid or buy? So who sold it very quietly?

4 Likes

Steve,
I did not want it, but why was the sale not put on talk for members to bid? Would have saved some questions.

2 Likes

Not only should it have been on talk it should have been on a public marketplace such as Ebay motors.

3 Likes

Everyone here agrees with the answers needed. Instead of letting this continue to escalate out of control can we give it 24 hours for someone in the know to respond? Not everyone can respond during the workday, let’s put down the pitchforks until we have the full picture.

7 Likes

Paging @Diplomat since he’s in charge of the books currently so may know what happened

3 Likes

The Space Bus was sold for $25 to a member with the promise it never come back to DMS again.

The issue with it was that it was costing us $100 a month in storage fees.

The folks who were initially interested in getting it fixed up as a mobile makerspace had lost interest in that project.

Dead project that was costing us storage money to “maintain it” on a monthly basis. It probably should have been sold by the last BOD.

2 Likes

Why were the other members or people that ever inquired about buying it never given the chance to make an offer?

I for one was last given a lowest selling price of $1,000, and know of some that would probably have paid more than $25

10 Likes

I’m thinking DMS would have made more money by taking bids or a raffle. And I’m going to stop there and move on. What’s done is already done.

2 Likes

But we CAN try to avoid this kind of thing in the future, if we can figure out what beartrap we stepped in…

9 Likes

Wow, just trying to get us sued or audited. Kudos!

7 Likes