Safety Questions - First Aid Trainees?

I’m breaking this off as a separate related thread. But let’s ask: WHO AMONG US would know what to do if (God forbid) someone got hurt - say cut off a finger, had a heart attack, or got something in their eye? I mean besides calling 911 (T-mobile not withstanding :grin:). time can make all the difference in the world. if shock sets in after an accident do you raise their head? their feet? Is there something to keep them warm?
Do you keep the finger in ice? Warm? pickled?

I know the basics of first aid although it’s been a long while since I’ve taken a class. wouldn’t it be nice to maybe have a first aid class for members? I’m sure we can get someone like the Red Cross, or the local EMTs to come out and present something? who knows? Maybe we have some qualified members that can teach it.

Just some food for thought (unless your chocking on that thought and need the heimlich maneuver). Have at it.

5 Likes

It has been decades since I was certified in first aid, and I know that several things have changed drastically with regard to heart and breathing emergencies… but I think I could still do basic burn and cut type stuff.

I would welcome a first aid training course.

SNORT

I might attend a first aid class.

1 Like

Depending on time/date, I would definitely be open to a first aid class.

call or fill out form to discuss on-site training

Or find a class to attend on your own:

129 classes within 25 miles of Carrollton, TX

I would be very interested in a first aid class

And on the heart attack, call 911 and get an
aspirin and have the person shew it, It
will minimize the damage done by the attack

I believe for a cut off finger, call 911 and then
put pressure on the wound, get someone to
rinse the finger off gently and then place
it is a clean baggie, Place the baggie in
ice water. I looked this up after I almost cut the
tip of my middle finder off, less than a third of it
was still attached,

I was a licensed EMT for over 10 years when I worked at Texas Instruments. The company asked for volunteers above and beyond their normal work load. We knew where all the hazards were in the building and could effectively transfer a patient to the Dallas Emergency Squad.

My EMT license has since expired, but I do keep current with my CPR and AED training.

IMHO, the best bet for DMS is to have the same company that stocks our First Aid Kits for their training classes. They offer training classes in First Aid, CPR, and the use of the AED. The folks that come in and re-stock our cabinets already know and understand our facility, the hazards, etc. and could make some good suggestions for training. Now, this training will not be free so the BOD will have to get involved. Still, money well worth being spent.

4 Likes

I’ve been trained in first response, however I would be interested in something a bit more DMS specific. Of course the burn, cut, heart attack, seizure, and anaphalactic shock should be covered. I think the best information would be when not to do something. For example an ongoing electric shock or grand mal seizure. There are things to do, like flipping a main breaker or making sure they don’t hurt themselves during the episode respectively.

I’d be ok with a cost for the class.

1 Like

Once upon a time I thought I wanted to be an MD so I took the paramedic course. Awesome instruction. By the time I completed it I knew I didn’t want to be an MD! Still love the ambulance…

I need a refresher course and very interested in one

I’m hesitant to recommend Cintas for the training classes. They’re not going to be inexpensive. CFD offers them for free, and ARC will offer them for a relatively nominal charge. And I’ll always take an FD trainer for a corporate trainer. Their quality of training is generally superior and they aren’t chincy on the supplies.

That’s your opportunity to hit someone you like with a big wooden stick. Never pass it up, you can hold it over them for decades.

1 Like

As long as the First Aid, CPR, and AED trainers are certified to teach then it does not matter who does it; Fire Department, Red Cross, Cintas, etc. No offence to all the good trainers and teachers at DMS, but for a course in saving someone’s life I’ve rather have it be a certified trainer.

Wise words, indeed!!

I’m a First Aid and CPR instructor and would love to have a class if needed.

My mom is a nurse and I’d like to think I know the basics. Apparently I’m very good with “apply pressure” because two ER trips resulted in no stitches as I’d already stopped the bleeding. Still, refresher course would be good. I don’t freak out at the sight of blood, I can help keep someone calm, and I can literally hold it together til help arrives.

The breaker room is under lock and key - so the wood stick/chair/Alan table etc is the only quick safe thing to do.

No offense - but I’d opt for the local Fire Department for the training - unlike Cintas - the FD is not in it for the money. Plus they have great looking trucks and flashing lights!

2 Likes

Reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one . . .

Did this conversation ever amount to anything?

Many years ago, I was a first aid/CPR/AED instructor for the American Red Cross. I would consider getting re-certified and potentially offering classes at DMS.

I would have to investigate how cost-effective that would be versus just having the Red Cross come out and teach the course themselves. They also offer online courses, but to actually get certified, one has to demonstrate their skills before an instructor.

I’m just thinking that offering courses on site might be more appealing to a lot of our members.

1 Like

Given that no one in the old discussion mentions any class that came about, I’d say it never came to anything. And I don’t specifically remember any classes being offered (not that that is particularly telling - I could have forgotten).

You are correct, nothing was ever done. It is a shame since it takes only one serious accident to put the Makerspace in the news. That’s not the type of news we need.

1 Like