Safety glasses eye shields

Yesterday at the committee meeting we discussed that many people use their “regular” eyeglasses in place of safety glasses in the shop. It was suggested that we could get some side shields and make them available in the shop for a nominal consumables cost. We could make up an envelope and people could use cash to contribute (I would volunteer to make the envelope). People could buy their own pair of side shields and then reuse them personally, but they would not be available under the assumption that they would be returned.

I have done a little research, and these are the best I’ve found. My definition of best is:

• safe (duh)
  • reusable
  • fits a range of glasses
  • easy to put onto the glasses and remove

These would cost us about $3.50 per pair and they come in a package of 20 pairs … I’m guessing we would price them at $5 - but that would be a committee decision.

I checked Uline and amazon and neither had shields that appear to be as easy to put on and remove.

So … committee … discussion? Do we want to order these?

7 Likes

I may pick some up from Grainger to donate for trials. They have several styles in different price ranges.
https://m.grainger.com/mobile/category/protective-eyewear-accessories/eye-protection-accessories/eye-protection-and-accessories/safety/ecatalog/N-12nx?okey=side+sheilds&mkey=side+sheilds&refineSearchString=side+sheilds&NLSCM=14&EndecaKeyword=side+sheilds&searchBar=true&searchRedirect=side+sheilds&sst=subset

5 Likes

Seeing demonstration versions would be valuable.

My biggest concern was what range of glasses the various shields would fit onto, and it’s not obvious from an online description.

1 Like

Check out safety glasses USA I have had good luck with with them in the past.

2 Likes

Do over the glasses safety glasses hinder the wearer’s ability to see with unwanted reflections etc?
Seems like regular glasses getting chipped or scratched will cost more than a pair of over the glasses safety glasses?

They are designed to prevent debris from from in from the side and attach to the arm. When wearing them I have not noticed any reflections. However, being QA we did not wear tinted lenses unless there was a safety requirement, e.g. laser, arc welding, etc.

My experience has been clear lens have very minimal reflections but the darker the tint the more reflections (I don’t tend usually wear wrap-arounds, just sided shielded.)

You can also buy non-prescription safety glasses that are “cheaper” bifocals fro a few dollars more than plain safety glasses

Wouldn’t these be better?
I know plastic lenses on eyeglasses scratch far easier than glass lenses and glass lenses can break; both are pricier to replace than wearing safety glasses over them, aren’t they?

Just a thought.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7022/Safety-Glasses/Visitor-Specs?pricode=WB1612&gadtype=pla&id=S-7022&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7f6NiY2N2gIVQRuBCh27HQIyEAYYAyABEgKjsPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They can be a pain with fog over, and doubling the number of surfaces that may be scratched or finger printed. Those who do care more for their daily wear glasses may well go for something like that. Though others may have so many chips, coating failures and what not that they are simply waiting for something to push them to getting a new eye exam and glasses.

The original topic here is for those who are already using their daily wear glasses as if they were safety glasses, and how to bring them up to correct side protection.

2 Likes

:thumbsup: :blankspace:

Those glasses will last a good while IF they are taken care. If tossed in a box or not properly cleaned these scratch very fast. I’ve had a pair last over 6 months in daily factory use.* Kept in an old sock I cut off at the heel to store it in (the one of a pair the dryer always leaves) and always rinsed them off in the sink.

These were the ones we could get through the company for $10 (subsidized) I loved them, sort of an Industrial Buddy Holly vibe 3M F9800 safety glasses These lasted years until new prescription required.

Note: I say once, because they were provided free so they typically only lasted a month.

2 Likes

You’re right that there are many solutions, and they are a matter of personal preference. We have shop-provided reusable (non-prescription) safety glasses - both “standard” and over-the-glasses types. They tend to wander around the entire space and since they live in a bin, they get scratched at some point.

They are completely safe, but many people choose to either bring their own, or wear their own prescription eyewear instead of safety eyewear. Some type of side shields is a good addition. My recollection is that in order to fully meet safety standards, the prescription glasses to which you’re attaching the side shields are also supposed to be safety glasses. For most members, that’s just a “bridge too far” - so side shields are at least an improvement.

For the over-40 crowd, David @Photomancer turned me on to another alternative. They are safety glasses with bifocal “reader” lenses at the bottoms.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=pyramex+v2g+safety+glasses&rh=n%3A3375251%2Ck%3Apyramex+v2g+safety+glasses

They come in a variety of prices, lens colors and diopters.

2 Likes

So, true. :blankspace:

If we had a vending machine that folks had to get their own safety glasses, I’d bet they get treated differently. I think I have about 6 pair of various safety glasses for different purposes: sealed, bi-focal, tinted with different darkness.

1 Like

Yup. Just like missing small tools.

1 Like

Major problem with the side shields - most glasses are not made out of the proper material to fulfil the safety functions of true safety glasses. If we make the side shields available, we are assuming the liability when someone gets a broken tool through the prescription lens and into their eye.

2 Likes

+1,000,000 :blankspace:

Just as a note for those wanting something special and have a budget for it, I highly recommend a pair of these:

They pretty much duplicate the antique Wilson safety glasses (or Holtzman’s glasses from the new Ghostbusters), and you can put in your own custom, prescription safety lenses if wanted. Astrud wears a pair at the space pretty often, and I have mine ready to go to the optician soon as well.

I would note that they do often have different frames on sale, so while the price can go as high as $87 for a pair, they do have several frames at $40 and $50.

2 Likes

Just received the DMS wily summary and saw this post…

Comment:

I stop by the shop twice a month and most of the time there are barely any protective eye glasses in the bin even though there is none working in the shop.

Is this a consistent issue/matter discussed?

There are multiple places safety glasses are kept at. where folks pick them up is not where they always end up. The three most common places (there are others) I find them:

• Double Doors outside of Wood Shop, Generally the biggest collection at any given time
  • Metal Shop: as you enter, some on wall grid to your right, others in bin on shelf to left
  • Machine Shop: in bin on top shelf of work bench on the end near cold cut saw

Sometimes the Metal Shop and Machine Shop bins are full sometimes empty. Safety glasses wander around. They have and incredibly high shrinkage rate and they are damaged quickly as folks just toss them in the bins.

2 Likes

another popular place is (scattered around, usually) the back of the Auto shelves, from the Laser side.

1 Like