Safety Equipment Order

I am putting together an order for safety equipment as I have noticed we appear to be missing alot in the workshop.

I would prefer to use the vendor https://www.safetyglassesusa.com that being said if someone has a vendor that can savings I am down if it’s significant espically a large order.

Pyramex Venture 2 Safety Glasses with Black Frame and Clear Anti-Fog Lens
Pyramex

Pyramex Venture 2 Safety Glasses with Black Frame and Clear Anti-Fog Lens
$3.59 Decrease Quantity:
Increase Quantity: $143.60
Radians Chief Overspec Safety Glasses with Clear Lens
Radians

Radians Chief Overspec Safety Glasses with Clear Lens
$1.45 Decrease Quantity:
Increase Quantity: $72.50
Bouton Ranger Mini OTG/Visitor Safety Glasses with Clear Frame
Bouton

Bouton Ranger Mini OTG/Visitor Safety Glasses with Clear Frame
$1.68 Decrease Quantity:
Increase Quantity: $84.00
Pyramex Ztek Safety Glasses with Clear Anti-Fog Lens
Pyramex

Pyramex Ztek Safety Glasses with Clear Anti-Fog Lens
$2.38 Decrease Quantity:
Increase Quantity: $85.68

This is what’s currently in my cart but I am thinking we may need more ear protection as well as some dust masks.

Notably we are not looking for the highest end stuff but we want to have safety equipment on site if someone does not bring in there own PPE.

1 Like

Dust masks are really important but unlike safety glasses, people really shouldn’t share them.

This creates a dilemma - do we provide them free to everyone as a single use item, do we not provide them at all, or do we provide them at a consumable cost like sandpaper, etc.?

My two cents: Dust masks, ear plugs, and safety glasses/goggles should be available for purchase; Maybe Parks market could stock them?

3 Likes

@Kathryn_Bredderman

Have y’all had a chance to figure out the types of safety glasses we will need for lampworking?

If these are special, they should be a committee purchase and safely stored in your committee area.

1 Like

IMO, I would provide safety glasses because they are reusable. I would “sell” ear plugs and dust masks because people shouldn’t share them. But we can’t do it through Parks because they own and stock that system.

My one cent worth …

EDIT: Although, ear plugs are less than 10 cents per pair, we can probably afford to give those away.

2 Likes

Absolutely, I was thinking we could add in on a big order for convenience and then work out the billing. But if that is too complicated, we can handle it on our own, no problem. Thanks!

I am thinking cheap disposable masks and for ear protection I am thinking hard over ear protection.

Though I am not opposed to giving away disposable ear protection the cost’s truly are negligible and dust masks I was thinking cheap disposable ones.

There is some level of effort looking at PPE for sale but that is really a diffrent discussion than this.

My intent here is to put this equipment on the floor for use by members.

3 Likes

I don’t have a problem with Logistics spending whatever is necessary a month to ensure safety in all of the space. Including any specialty products for Fired Arts.

@Robert_Davidson can you send me the receipt once it’s completed so I can know what to order in the future?

Dust masks are 50 for $8.00 at the cheapest and 30 for $15 at a normal range.

5 Likes

If they have it available I have no problems in putting in the safetyglassesusa order and I can bill it to the committee.

2 Likes

BTW just somewhat related I know there are those among us that goto a lot of industrial auctions if you see lot’s (100+) of decent safety glasses I don’t think we can have too much PPE.

2 Likes

From my research I think we need Shade 5 glasses.

Sure no problem do you need something that covers your face or just eyes?

Do you want a combination of glasses for over glasses and no glasses?

No glasses

Over glasses

They need to be the minimum shade number for the plasma cam, I’m not sure if that is shade 5 or 7. But if it is not the minimum specified we shuldn’t give out underrated glasses as this implies they are fit for purpose. But agree some should be available.

I’d almost rather there be material fee when you take the class and given a pair to keep.

I use the standard cheapy safety glasses for myself fro Grainger. I don’t have any issues with them unless I’m being extremely strenuous or it’s cold out with a face mask. So that’s kinda a mute point. I wear them everyday for work.

Metal shop in the next few months will also be getting cleaner.

1 Like

The training specify shade 8. That is what is recommended by hypertherm & AWS.

2 Likes

Okay, 8 it should be. Just though 5 sounded too low.

Not certain, I’m doing a bit more research just now to make sure I have that right. We just need eye coverage, not face. But in regards to shade/style I’m not sure.
When are you looking to place an order?

@cmcooper0 @Kathryn_Bredderman

So I was looking at this chart from the Phillips to understand more of a comparison. Our choices look to mostly be:
*‘Rose Glass’ or “Didymium”
*Shade 3
*Shade 5
This is assuming all shade 3 and 5 lenses block IR, UV and sodium flare.

I’m not sure what all we are hoping to work with in glass, so I’m not sure what level of protection we need.

2 Likes

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/

If you find what you want to try out here I can order some samples for you and I will order a couple of shade 5’s for yall to try as well.

When I’ve taken lamp working in the past, they’ve recommended Didymium glasses for typical glass. There’s other types for boro and quartz, but we don’t have the right torches for that anyway, so moot point. The stuff mapp etc is fine on, Didymium was the most common.

That’s my vague remembrance, so YMMV and I’d confirm.

[EDIT] So I called kitrell-riffkind (teaches lamp working, I took there years ago)…they confirmed Didymium as recommendation to their students