Safety Class(es) for the Machine Shop

i wouldnt mine signs. As a new member and without any employees up there its not easy to know the protocol for certain machines or areas and IMHO i think it would help, at least for me it would

1 Like

so i clicked on the link and it said i dont have access to that topic. is there a reason for that and is there anything i can do to have access to any/all topics?

The link that @AlexRhodes posted was moved into the Members Only category. As long as you are an active Dallas Makerspace member, and are using the same email address on TALK as you use in the billing system (WHMCS), then you will be able to see it once the accounts get synchronized again. I don’t know when that will be though.

1 Like

OK, then. Re-iterating because “the other thread” is not the place to provide input.

This should not be “machine shop”, nor “'per tool”. This SHOULD be focused into the “on-boarding” that was discussed some time ago, so each new member gets “orientation”, which should include standard safety practices. These should include (at least):
When entering the [warehouse, workshop, back-you-need-an-ID-to-get-in-here-area]:

1. Be aware of your surroundings
  2. safety glasses (if not on, in hand, at least)
  3. Appropriate clothing
    ** no loose clothing (no long shirt tails, no long sleeves) around anything that moves
    ** no synthetics around anything that spits fire (grinders, saws, etc.)
    ** appropriate eye protection, even “just to watch” around things that spit infrared or other light in huge quantities (welders, plasma cutters)
  4. no open/slip-on shoes
  5. hair needs to be reliably restrained

Bringing folks into thinking that when entering the work area proper safety procedures should be followed will remove the largest portion of the immanent death from the largest portion of our fierce tools. Making training, to include safety, per tool or per committee or per work area is counterproductive. I also object to this process in other ways not pertinent to this thread.

1 Like

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.
Does anyone have more suggestions to add to Bryan’s 1) Basic safety list? Also I would like suggestions on what equipment should be included in 2] How to operate equipment.

I’ll be out of town most of this week, but will put together a first-draft curriculum by Oct. 5th.

Copied from the other thread:

I’ll volunteer to spring for a box of rubber bands to put with the safety glasses.

Agree with you that “general safety” concerns should be DMS-wide. However, specific tools have different types of safety features and emergency stops and those should be covered in tool or work area-specific training.

As a constructive suggestion … protective eyewear. In some places that’s a face mask, in others it is goggles, in others it’s safety glasses.

There are also (many) places where people ought to seriously consider wearing a particle mask or respirator.

I hope this happens soon, the lathe was the main reason why i rejoined the space.

1 Like