Safety Class(es) for the Machine Shop

Although I’m posting this under Machine Shop, constructive suggestions for other areas, or for all of DMS, are encouraged.

My goal is to see that no one gets hurt at DMS. To that end, I’m offering to help as needed.

I am willing to teach at least one class per month on Machine Shop Safety or any particular topic (i.e. Bridgeport Mill safety) as deemed necessary by the members and Chairman.

Please provide constructive suggestions and comments regarding safety, safety training, and related issues.

3 Likes

I appreciate that, thank you. The first step is to develop a curriculum. From my standpoint what’s needed for the machine shop is two-fold. 1) Basic safety. What to do and not to do. 2) How to operate the equipment, including how to determine basic requirements (stepping up to large drill sizes, selecting the correct blade for the material you’re cutting, etc), how to change out consumables (blades, primarily), how to open a ticket, and maybe even where things are located.

3 Likes

Is there any way we can also paint red lines on the floor and try to restrict people from walking through the machine shop? Could we make a stencil or something for the floor that says “Safety Equipment Required” or similar?

I can’t tell you how many times I (or someone else) have been slinging hot chips with the Bridgeport and someone in flip flops and no eye protection just comes strolling on through there.

I’ll volunteer to help with that effort if we want to do it.

3 Likes

If the Bridgeport becomes training required, safety is covered in the in the classroom portion and is gone over again at the machine.

If you make it training required, I’ll list/teach at least four classes in the next 30 days and at least two a month after that. Once the new lathe is installed and I become familiar with it, I’ll do same for it. @BobKarnaugh I’m sure will also be an instructor -he teaches lathe now…

1 Like

The east wall will be cleared out soon, and once that happens I’m toally on-board with making the machine shop only accessible from the south.

1 Like

I can assist with efforts to make lathe, and for that matter, basic mill classes available. There could also be a basic machine shop safety class required along the same lines of what the wood shop committee does. How does the wood shop restrict access to those who have completed the wood shop basics class? With the Haas it is easy; one is issued a password only after demonstrating competence on the Haas.

1 Like

Can’t we just start hammering people to wear closed shoes and safety glasses as a matter of course in the warehouse?

1 Like

I believe/like to propose @dallasmagna and @bgangwere a Basic Intro Class could cover Metal Shop and Machine shop. They related and many common characteristics and a lot of the same safety practices and general rules apply. The benefit is one class would cover both areas. This would still require training on training required tools.

They don’t really.

Sure, just set stuff in the way to physically block the path so that you can only access machine shop from one direction.

A combination of the Honor system, and making it impossible to take any Woodshop classes until you are recorded in “The System” as having completed Woodshop Basics.

Well…There isn’t an automated or foolproof way, but:

1) There are several signs posted indicating training is required for some of the tools and there are 3 or more Wood Shop Basics classes each week, such that it is almost impossible not to know training is required and not be able to take it in a reasonable time frame

2) There are enough people around in the Wood Shop that have been around it awhile such that they form the basis of a fairly effective early warning and community policing system, e.g., “that person looks new or lost, I’ll think I’ll go over and chat them up and see what’s what”

3) The chairperson is around several days and nights out of the week and has no issue with approaching people that he doesn’t recognize and introducing himself and asking how their experience in the Wood Shop has been, including WSB class experience. This is also true for the several Wood Shop Basics instructors.

For the most part, one has to actively ignore, or try and skirt, the training requirements in the Wood Shop to be able to get away with it; even then only for so long. But any success at universal safety and usage training in the Wood Shop is based on both numbers of Wood Shop users and their willingness to both abide by the training requirements and self-enforce them as a community.

3 Likes

While people constantly knock signs here on Talk I’ll say that I saw these signs and waited until I had the class before using any of the power tools in the woodshop. Sure not everyone will read them or care but I think a lot of people do. Also I think the Woodshop Basics class is a good model for all the committees to use. There was a lot of focus on how to safely use the machines.

1 Like

I caution against charging for a Safety Class, which is what Woodshop Basics appears to be.

[edit: Charging for advanced classes … knock yourself out]

I didn’t like the idea either, but FWIW…

This was done as a psychological barrier against no-shows, which was happening a lot when it was free. Woodshop Basics has a limit on number of people (due to the fact it actually runs everyone through the machines in question) and no-shows were screwing it up.

1 Like

I’ve done the same in the past with my classes, so I can sympathize.

@Photomancer had an idea that your $5 entry to the class would include a pair of inexpensive, but brand new safety glasses that are for all intents and purposes required for the Wood, Metal or Machine shops. It helps with both the no-shows and adds a layer of safety to the whole space.

5 Likes

No argument from me on that point…I have been outspoken against the practice. But if it is a discussion worth having, it should be a separate thread, please.

We do ask people - and they routinely lie to us about it. But frequently, same folks show up in class a little later, so I guess you could call it spreading the word.

It won’t be honor system for much longer. We’re testing the new RFID interlocks now, and ultimately and perhaps soon - no tickee, no shirtee. The interlock checks the database in real time, and will not energize the tool if you have not taken the class. You can see an interlock now on our cnc router.

Best advice on a basics class - work out a syllabus that’s long on safety and hands-on experience - nothing succeeds better than people doing it themselves under the encouragement and guidance of an instructor. It not only cements in their minds the right way to approach the machine, it lowers their fear of the machine - which often discourages new users from getting started on them. In a sense, the classes should have a “welcome to our shop” element to them.

Also - train trainers first. You need several willing people to teach, not just one or two. Instructors don’t need to be machinists - they just need to know how to teach the syllabus. Weirdly, the act of teaching, is itself, a tremendous teacher. Instructors get good fast. Once you have some trainers, set a regular schedule, and bust hell to keep it running. Its hard, but regular classes are a necessity for required classes, Oh, and the big boost in honorariums, sure does help your committee budget.

Lastly, one rule for everyone. If you make a requirement, then enforce it equally, without playing favorites. But expect some indignant members along the way. Stand your ground.

12 Likes

Talked a little about signage and marking in another thread but let me know if anyone is interested.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/use-by-non-members/12748/25