(Rule Change) Playing In VECTOR: from Februrary 2021 Meeting Minutes

Last night as a committee, we voted to allow playing of games in the VECTOR space, under the following rules:

• The game is socially distant from other game(s) in use
  • Only one player can use a game at a time (no multi-player games)
  • Only touch the games with your hands (i.e. do not wipe the game down with anything before or after playing)
  • Wash your hands when you’re finished

This change needs to be manifested in the List of Committee Rules. Is this something that needs to be placed in the Consent Agenda as an action item, or can someone update that document offline?

That said, High Speed is our playable game at the moment, and I’ll be removing contradictory signage from it tomorrow. To operate it, the power switch is on the bottom side of the cabinet, near the right front leg. Give it a moment to start up, then start playing. Turn it off when you’re done.

Happy playing, and be safe!

2 Likes

Assuming the minutes are up, just edit the wiki page for the committee.

This part is important to the collectors in VECTOR as some of the harsh cleaners can affect the finished surfaces on the games. This is why it was added into the rule change. The owners will clean their own games and folks should wash their hands when done playing and turning the game off.

I suggest you prominently post that to prevent inadvertent damage from people with good intentions.

2 Likes

So this machine?
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_(pinball)#/media/File:High_Speed_Full_Machine.jpg)

I was wondering if it makes sense to allow or consider an external paddleboard for the buttons, the plunger is a harder issue, especially for the Pinball wizards (cue Tommy)

1 Like

An accessory paddleboard would be interesting from an accessibility standpoint. Folks who can’t reach around a game (such as my 1-year-old, who is also vertically challenged) might find this compelling. Some quick cursory research didn’t show anything interesting on this front, though… I bet there are ways to adapt the leaf switches with crimp connectors to wires that would run out to standard arcade buttons mounted to a simple board, but it would disable use of the regular side buttons.

As for the plunger, there’s a simple but possibly sub-optimal trick, but some people like it better; rather than pulling the plunger, just whap it with your palm, back of hand, elbow, etc. A lot of times, a gentle but deliberate push on the plunger will get the ball just into the top lanes.

1 Like

Recycle a clean plastic bag; put it over the plunger and discard it after playing.

I do not know how cheap the simple non-ziplock sandwich bags are, but maybe provide those as a consumable?

1 Like

Post it UNDER the glass.

At $25 a month stipend, a box of sandwich bags is a large percentage amount to spend…

I’m talking the cheap ones:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Single-Use-Fold-Top-Sandwich-Bags-200-Count/105643707

1 Like

That’s still 6% of the monthly budget. :slight_smile:

Perhaps they can be purchased from general funds as this is not the only area that could use such a thing.

Perhaps even the plastic gloves that they are using at buffet restaurants now. The “one size fits all, and NONE well” style.

I know VECTOR was one of the reasons I originally joined.

1 Like