rPi for Shapeoko

I am looking to install one of my pi4 with cnc js and octopi on the shapeoko. I am then looking to turn the pi over to Steve or the other systems admin. The pi can be use to remotely control the shapeoko in the shop but give local control to only those on the jumpserver a manual button could be installed and script could be written to force the user to be a the shapeoko and press the button. Could this be over come with tape? yes. https://community.carbide3d.com/t/shapeoko-3-xxl-raspberry-pi-3-cncjs-tablet/2458
Now it also has streaming video… like the 3d fab octoprint. and you guys will have admin rights and i can list all the port currently then alter it. So as to progress this project along. I can also write the initial wiki for review.

1 Like

What would be the purpose of remote controlling it?

The problem is getting access to the shapeoko.The shapeoko is loud and the machine constantly moved. I see in the other thread (https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/shapoko-cnc-router/3019) others have often desired having a terminal to which they can give the operator easier access. The multicam which is much more powerful has the CAM program centrally located and it is easy to down load GCODE to the multicam in a were house environment without having to set up a personal extra computer to run the gcode. Dust can often destroy ones personal computer. As it stands we are asking people to put their own personal computer right next to a dusty cnc router. The raspberry pi does not have a need a fan and can be installed or removed via a usb cord. So to sum up what the pi adds.

easy web access and limited controls in dusty environments so one does not have to put ones personal computer or laptop in the dusty workshop.

The pi can be removed and then the tool operates as normal. (So pi has the grbl and marlin drivers).

wireless access so the shapeoko can be used as it is stored in the workshop…

wireless video streaming so one can record your cnc piece being made…

Limited access to addition CAM programs with feeds and speeds. to take 3d geometries and turn them into gcode for the specific cnc router in this case the shapeoko.

So who is in charge of the shapeoko or what group controls the shapeoko? I am looking to develop it then go through the proper chain of command… I am trained on the shapeoko.

It reverted to woodshop. Regarding laptops, there is at least 1 DMS laptop loaded with the software to run it, but I am agreeable to putting a single board computer to it, rpi4 or otherwise for training and consistency.

Also something to think about, is ensuring we can do the same setup later for the Plastics SIG which will manage the larger shapeoko.

Yeah, but we’ve had those DMS laptops as long as I’ve been a member. And I understood that they were donated to begin with.

I have the raspberry pi running right now with the servers. I could port forward the servers and give us a temporary link to the servers if you want to demo them now… So i am going to start doing this unless someone says other wise. I am looking to send this link via message to all in this thread. please forget my servers ip after this… I am predominately a maker and not a Pen tester.

I would talk to @jphelps

anyone take a look at the server?

Family time, will try tomorrow

ok… i tend to shut down my server at night… because camera and i dance naked in my apartment… so…yeah. standard working hours… mostly… In my defense i am using crontab for the server… so it boots with the servers in the back ground.

Sorry it is more i want privacy late at night. tomorrow it will be up at about 6 am and i will shut the test server down about 8 pm each day.

Please forward all relevant details to [email protected].

Thanks

Freddy

What are the relevant details? Is the relevant details, just the ips of the servers and, or the what each server does and, or the goal of my project. etc?

As my project is developing. i am hoping to give some access to the jumpserver and total access to admit and the chair controlling the shapeoko. Perhaps an extension would be putting a badge in control on the raspberry pi… something where you would badge in and it would release the firmware to run. we could install hard limit switches on the shapeoko and just hold the switches low until the user badges in.