Rolling mill for aluminum?

Could I use the rolling mill for a piece of aluminum? It seems to me that it’s softer than brass and I know we use the mill for brass.

Thanks.
Chris

@AnneGullett Anne this sounds like a question for you to answer.

Yes, you can roll aluminum but keep in mind it does work harden and can’t anneal like brass, copper or silver with a torch…the temperature is too close to the melting point. Start with soft aluminum if you can :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah rolling mill to the rescue. :smile:

You can anneal aluminium with a torch, but the process is very different from the metals you described. And because you are doing so close to the melting point it is a bit tricky.

Major point is that if you are using a 6000 or 7000 series alloy, this process removes the ‘heat treament’ that make these alloys so desirable, so you might as well use a pure aluminium alloy.

The process is pretty simple.

• Use a decent torch and keep the flame moving (gentle heat).
  • You can’t judge temperature by color, so you need some kind of indicator. For an indicator, the best choice is the temp sensitive welder’s chalk in a 1350-1400 degree range, which is JUST below the melting point.
  • Don’t quench when you have reached the proper temp. Slow cooling will prevent metal from becoming brittle.
2 Likes

Hmmmm, I didn’t think about the work hardening and subsequent annealing. Good points. I think I will just try to mill off the little bit of thickness that I want reduced. I’m going to cut it with a jeweler’s saw and I’d prefer it not work hardened … I’m lazy.

1 Like