Rivet nut tool?

Ignoring Max’s irrational hatred of sweet, beautiful rivnuts…

There are two tools, with 5/16"-18 you’ll need the bigger one. It’s an Astro and it’s in the vertical green cabinet in automotive with the specialty tools.

5 Likes

Excellent, thanks!

Perfect. That is a great use case

I know we live in the south but exposed rivnuts in an automotive application is asking for it. If they are inside you car no big deal but exposed to salt and rust, (as they would be up north) they are a nightmare. Also they can’t be used to do anything structural. Holding together furniture is no big deal but holding together a car in an accident is a whole different story. You use them on a car with a full roll cage, a 5 point harness, and the driver wears a hans device. Your use case isn’t the typical one.

Holding on a license plate is a good application. Holding a toolbox and ladder off your van isn’t. Like anything in engineering the rivnut has its place. I just don’t like to see the abuse. I especially don’t want to have to avoid a toolbox flying at me at 70Mph because someone abused a rivnut

4 Likes

I just purchased a military surplus D-100-MIL-1 pop rivet and rivnut hydraulic install tool with the optional long nose, offset, and right angle heads. About to install 156 1/4”-20 stainless steel rivnuts to hold several sections of e-track inside the front and side walls of my truck bed. Not places to easily get behind to install a washer and nut. Every hole in the e-track will be bolted.

Here is the tool I picked up last weekend. There is a guy on Marketplace who has a few remaining he is selling. Currently listed at $450.

Here is the listing for the seller that I got mine from.

2 Likes

Nice tool! Nutserts are often found on aircraft.

1 Like

The seller said the kit I bought was commonly a part of the Humvee repair kits for field repair. He had bought 7 of them and selling the extras after keeping one for himself. This type of tool will make the installation process much easier and less physically demanding compared to the usual lever action install tools that need lots of elbow room to operate.

Video showing how to use this type of tool and the accessory heads.

2 Likes

3 Likes

That’s cool! They made it super easy to fasten things to a blank slate. Yay Nutsert/Rivnuts!!

Awesome kit. Is this going to be around DMS in our future?

The kit we have is much faster. You thread it on & will self retract.

1 Like

Tim,

Thanks for the use of your Rivnut/Nutsert tool last night! It was a last minute ‘modification’ to eliminate the shyte honda plastic clips that hold the belly pan on the sub frame. Instant solution.

It was also good to see familiar faces and the new guy doing brakes on his dodge truck!

2 Likes