Rivet nut tool?

Is there a rivet nut tool/setter (either hand-operated or air-powered) in the automotive bay? I thought I saw one a couple months ago.

Yes there is one, I can’t tell you were it is though. I haven’t seen it in a while

1 Like

It has been years, but you might try the tall green locker to the right of the green tool box.

I’ve heard tell of it but I can’t say I’ve seen it around. We used some rivnuts on the racecar before Colorado, but I think it was @michaelb’s personal tool.

I found one in the metal shop :+1:

1 Like

That’s it. It’s kinda the bee’s knee’s

1 Like

Anybody know where this tool is now? I checked the metal shop and auto cabinet. Checking the machine shop now.

Last time I gave up. I looked for the machine rivet nut all over DMS with no luck… :frowning_face:

Let’s see if someone else can give us a clue

Lol

And characters

Any Luck guys?

Just added one to the freebie shelf. Figured @Team_Metal_Shop could take it if they wanted it

2 Likes

1 Like

Is there a permanent location for this now? I’m about to be in need of a rivnut setter and figured I’d check here first before wandering around the space trying to find it!

The real question is do you have your own rivnuts? What is your application?

To add to this, I have never seen a rivnut used by a car manufacturer. My guess is you are doing a modification of some kind. If that is the case, there is probably a better option. Unless you are converting a vehicle into a shelter? Autobody companies traditionally used cage nuts for these types of applications because they don’t corrode and spin as easily.

Yes, I have my own rivet nuts, and it’s not for automotive use, I’m adding threaded feet to a steel frame for a furniture project.

got fenders on my rig with some form of these. probably need to drill them out and do something more substantial.

in for the rivnut new! lol

What size and are your nuts aluminum or steel? I have a personal tool I might be willing to lend.

1 Like

That’s very kind! The ID is 5/16"-18. If the space doesn’t have one, I have a friend I think I can bother as a second option, but if that also fails I’ll reach out. Thanks!

All my stuff is 1/4-20 and smaller.

2 Likes