Ring roller for window screen frame

I know we have a ring roller for tubing and such but do we have rollers or a separate roller for window screen frames?
I am putting solar screens on my house and need to make an arch frame for one window.
The frame is 5/16”’wide and would need the deep rollers to prevent wrinkling.

Didn’t know if we had something to make the arch.

Jim

What kind of screen material did you get and where did you buy it? I’ve been wanting to do the same.

If one were inclined, you could make new rollers for our ring roller to obtain this task.

Dale Derry Build Something Cool did a ring roller mod like this in a video on YT

I used the Phifer - SunTex 80.
Got it from HomeDepot.

1 Like

Hmmmm. With what these company’s want for a single screen that might be a great option.
Just need to find the nylon stock to make rollers or maybe 3D print some.

If I were to make rollers from Nylon, do we have a lathe to make them on?

You may be able to design & 3D print rollers

Btw: A screen roller tool is a sub $10 tool ok online or locally.

1 Like

I was gonna say. That screen material is expensive enough that if doing a whole house, the roller represents no more than 1% of the overall cost.

I don’t want to discourage anyone DIYing anything, but…
back when I was involved in solar screening with some regularity, it literally cost less to have this outfit make them and put them up than to buy the material from Lowe’sDepot.

I never found sufficient wholesaling to make it worth my while, but I was a pretty small operation.

are youse talking about the spline roller?

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-7505-Screen-Rolling-Handle/dp/B002KDR83C/

because I think OP is talking about a die to fit on a “tubing roller” to arch the frame, rather than a tool to roll the spline into the frame.

I don’t think those are all over the 'net for <$10.

1 Like

Ah yes, I might have misinterpreted the ask. I assumed this was going into existing frames.

1 Like

I have called around and the price the companies want for one 18”H x 36”W arch frame is over $90. That also includes screen material because they will not make and sell me just the frame. That also does not include the $30 installation fee that one company wanted to install this one screen.

I just did 12 windows myself for under $350 in materials and a few hours of my time.

So why not try to see if we have something at the Space or 3D print some rollers to use on the ring roller we already have. :grin:

1 Like

$90 seems cheap compared to the time and expense it will take to make the rollers. But on the other hand, all of us have spent $hundreds in tools and time to make something rather than buying it. That’s almost a requirement for makers.

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve been guilty of that before.

The plus side is the space will have the rollers if anyone ever needs them. The negative side is that I end up handing the screen company the C-note they want in the end.

Sometimes it’s the journey not the destination.

Of course it is, but it has zero entertainment value. There are few projects at DMS done for economic advantage.

2 Likes