Reverse Engineering a PCB

Check page 25:

Wonder if that’s what you have there… using the +5 switched power to run the 74HC174 chips.

would that be power coming in from the USB, thats how its currently working

There are two configurations. One for usb powered one for external. The use different values for the caps.

yep it pulling power from the pi’s usb port no external power surprised me.

I think that’s what this circuit Rodney has is for. I think it’s to power just those 2 74HC174 chips from the USB port.

Only way to figure it out is to start tracing circuits. :wink:

im just fearful of tearing up this working board without knowing if this can be replicated i have no problem doing the leg work tracing etc.

Use a bright light to shine under the chips and look through the board to follow some of the hidden traces. You won’t be able to follow them all the way, but you can see what pins have traces that go under the chips which will help shortcut some of the time/effort to reverse the board.

Yep. The link I gave gives pretty much the step by step that I used on that Cricut Expression cutting machine to map out all the pins for the mcu.

ok thanks fellas, i’ll use the tutorial and get to tracing.

these smd are 0402, sand grains :frowning:

Yeah, you can use larger ones when reproducing. The benefit is that you can see them, you can work with them, and you can find them dirt cheap on the surplus market. :slight_smile:

When I go to California for work I can usually pick those up for less than $2 for partial reels.

are you coming up tomorrow?

There’s a TON of SMD resistors and caps in the electronics room.

I thought I was going to be out hunting, but that got pushed a couple of days… so yup.

ok i’ll bring the part in so you can take a peek at it

That’s a very simple circuit. You can design your own very easily! What did you pay for the board? Is there a market for this board? How board do you want to build up and sell?

I believe you , just need to identify the parts, $50.00 rape job i know. No not really as the scoreboards are no longer in production, there may be a small niche market for the pi community dragons lair lovers, thats about it. I’d like to put a few of these in some micro dragons lair cabinets.

would one of these cut some time off, this looks like it takes care of the USB piece.

Yes. It also cuts off the +5v requirements too. All you would need is to hook up the 74HC174 chips - provided that all they need are the pins provided at the edge of this adapter board.

You can buy those pretty cheap at Micro Center - Inland brand in the section where the Arduinos are kept.

Hi guys,

I know this is an old, old topic now. But followed it from RetroPie land a few years ago.

I have picked up the Hypseus (Daphne) codebase where I see the original creator of these boards submitted code to support them, so no need to rely on them supplying pre-compiled binaries any longer, and we have some understanding of what they would be expecting signalling wise:

Indeed they are FTDI FT232R.

I was wondering if you managed to get the reverse engineering sorted, as I am now looking after the codebase, would be very interested in getting one of these for some prototyping in Hypseus Singe.

The new Daphne (Hypseus) codebase is here for the interested (looking at you rablack97):

1 Like

Yeah I figured it out years ago and started building my own tweaked versions. I integrated that adaptor onto the board and modified the schematic for it. These run on pi precompiled DL binaries. I make em for a guy who owns Guscade, for his repro Dragons Lair full size builds. The micro one i did for the hell of it, so i can play DL anywhere and still see my score.

5 Likes