Reverse Engineering a PCB

Anybody any good at reverse engineering a PCB board, identifying the parts used etc.

It depends on how complicated it is.

If it’s pretty simple, there are many people around the space who can do it.

If it has a lot of parts, or especially more than two PCB layers, you may need to send it off to a service to be reverse engineered (or be prepared to spend A LOT of time on it).

what service do you recommend, the biggest issue is the capacitance of a few smd cap with no labels.

I’ve never needed to do this, so I don’t really have any recommendations.

But if that’s all you need, you can desolder the caps and measure them.

Is this guy easy enough, the brown caps i have no idea the little black part with the 3 legs looks like an ldo voltage regulator to me.

@artg_dms Do we have a capacitance meter? I thought I saw one of those fancy tweezer meters the other day, but I may be imagining it!

Looks simple enough. That’s a two layer board tops.

Here is how I did it.

http://www.thetazzbot.com/2015/02/17/reverse-engineering-a-printed-circuit-board/

That board looks simple enough.

But why do you want to reverse engineer it? Is there something wrong with it? Oh, and yes, to get correct values for those caps, you may need to desolder. However, there are one or two EE’s here that could tell you the practical values for caps in that particular configuration. There’s a few reasons why one might have a cap on a board like that, and that by itself might give away a suitable value.

i want to build more of em.

Check the data sheets for that FTDI chip. The caps and transistor may be a part of a sample circuit listed in it.

The other 2 are generic 74xx logic. Looks like a simple circuit.

Ah, looking closer at that. It is an FTDI chip. Look at the data sheet. 99% of the time they will tell you in the data sheet what you need. Looks like an RC network the way those two parts are tied together.

That’s just it, i’m no electrical engineer, would love some help on that part of it. You’d probably be interested in this, its a USB inteface for a real dragon’s lair scoreboard to work with a rasp pi.

Oh, and to properly read those caps you’ll have to desolder them.

Data sheets are in English. :slight_smile:

Post the info from the top of each chip. The FTDI and what looks to be 74HC logic.

Oh, sure, hang that carrot on a stick in front of me… hahaha nope not biting…resist…must. resist. actually, just post a better straight on picture of both sides :slight_smile: Highest rest you can get.

The FTDI chip is this FT232RL

The other two are flip flops.

NXP 74HC174D

ok scratch that. Looked it up on google. Is it driving one of these

say hi to big brother

Love that “If you can read this you mounted the scoreboard backwards” That’s pretty cool. I could probably draft the board in eagle for you, but would probably want to have some good pics of it. Ok so one more thing… are you not able to buy the board any longer?

Btw you could easily manage this with a probe and Eaglecad.

Nope, the guy that builds them sold me the last one and is no longer producing them, taking design to the grave i guess. He’s ignoring my emails due to the fact he sold me this thing and failed to disclose how to completely get it working on my pi. Luke and i spent a long evening trying to get it to work and got close, i kept pecking at it and finally got it working. I want to replicate the usb and the scorboard for my own personal use, i wanna build a mini dragons lair cabs with a real working scoreboard.