Returning to DMS

Good afternoon,

I have not come to DMS for quite some time but have kept my membership active. Do I need to retrain on the equipment that I was once certified to use? I would like to use the Bridgeport primarily as I have a project that I would like to work on. I don’t want to barge into the shop without making sure that everything is ok with me picking up where I left off.

2 Likes

Permissions don’t expire. If you were on it, you’re still on it.

1 Like

As long as you still feel comfortable with the equipment and confident in your skills - otherwise I would take a refresher.

I’m not sure if Tim [@TBJK] is still doing his “Tool Time with Tim” on Thursdays, but he’s an incredible resource if he is.

1 Like

Hey Tru,
I was wondering how you were since I haven’t seen you in a long while. I recently ran across a picture of you at one of the events.

You should be good to go with the Bridgeport

4 Likes

Re-Training I think depends on the machine. I have permission for the CNC router but everyone is supposed to retrain because there had been abuse. So I’m trying to work through a fairly extensive series of training. I believe the same is true of the HAAS Mills. I KNOW it’s true for powder coating. Someone even mentioned they think the new band saws in the wood shop will be locked out and require training. (I would make a joke about retraining to use screwdrivers… but I haven’t been able to find any.)

1 Like

You know, I always tell EVERYONE I meet that the best part of DMS is the folks that attend and you all are proof of that, super quick responses that are helpful and on the nose.

2 Likes

Thursday night is often “tool time with Tim” and a good time to sync up with folks and maybe refresh or chat.