Returning Member Tour/Updates

I just reactivated my membership after not using the makerspace for about 8 months. It looks like there have been a number of changes to the woodshop (no more Powermatic table saw etc.) since I took my safety class and last used the space. I want to see if anyone is available to meet me at DMS this week to give me an update on the woodshop. I am available Tuesday evening, Wednesday afternoon and evening, and Thursday after about 3pm.

I am also looking to learn more about woodworking technique in general. Most of my “woodworking” experience is from rough work around the house and I would love to learn more about fine woodworking. I am comfortable around the table saw, miter saw, handheld routers, and palm sanders, but would like to learn more of the finer points of each tool. I will keep an eye out for classes and will attend the committee meetings when possible to meet others . I am also generally available MWF during the day if anyone could use a hand unloading lumber and wouldn’t mind me asking questions about your work.

On Thursday there will be a woodshop meeting. You can probably show up and ask for a brief update.

But the main changes are:

• replacing powermatic with Sawstop
  • replacing all blades with combo/all purpose blades by default (you can still bring your own blades, but we don’t provided dedicated rip/crosscut blades unless you’ve taken the advanced class).
  • a new drill press (the old powermatic one broke down)
  • drum sander now functional
  • CNC out in the workshop area by the slab mill (no curriculum yet).

For projects, I’d recommend starting off simple with cutting boards, charcuterie boards, phone stands, etc. and focus on one new technique to learn with each project. For example, cutting boards are a good way to learn about glue ups, squaring lumber, etc. Phone stands are a good way to practice angled cuts on the table saw. Charcuterie boards can give you practice with the bandsaw making curves, and so on.

I’d look up some YT channels and see what projects you can follow along with. Steve Ramsay and Make Something are both accessible and have fun builds.

Thank you. This is a big help.