Resurfacing Spoils Board on Multi-cam

Thank you very much @fedakkee

What is the purpose of leveling the board twice? Isn’t it parallel to the cnc after milling one side?

1 Like

There’s a coating on both sides that seals it and the vacuum can’t get through it unless removed.

6 Likes

Please, please use the calibration block to set Max Depth every time you use the machine. It’s easy and won’t allow the bit to travel past it. That includes setting Max Depth for every bit change.

You can adjust max depth using the up arrow + max depth keys on the keypad and using he z up arrows to fill a few thousandths. But if the vacuum is working and the MDF isn’t warped it should cut all the way through the material.

5 Likes

Too late. Someone failed to set Max Depth today. The spoilboard is already torn up. Logs reveal who it is. Maybe people who fail to set Max Depth need to be tested out again. This would be an automatic failure. So sad. Not even 24 hours had passed before someone thoughtlessly tore up my baby.:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

6 Likes

Maybe a better lesson would be going and getting another spoil board and resurfacing it. That would probably reinforce setting the depth correctly and making a depth mistake again.

3 Likes

Ya, Let them know the cost, its weight, and all the prep involved.

2 Likes

No, they’ll discover and learn that as they go through the process - a believe the current terminology is “A Teachable Moment” or something like that.

1 Like

So…are we able top pull the footage so we can identify the person and have the teachable moment?

Although - a teachable moment already happened. This person saw what happened. Next they need to be held accountable. Give me access to the BlueIris server and I’ll find the video clip…

I just pulled up the logs so I have name.

That’s a pretty significant oops for a brand new spoilboard

1 Like

Dang! This is why I bring my own “spoil board”; a scrap I can attach my piece to that the vacuum holds and won’t matter if it gets buggered up.

8 Likes

That’s a great idea. Esp for new players.

2 Likes

So I cleaned things up and added some decorations to the MultiCam spoilboard. What do you think? Did it spruce things up a bit?

18 Likes

They’ll still set their maximum depth, it’ll just be below the surface of the spoil board.

I think the operator should have to put a couple $100 bills under their project. Bet things run shallow.

8 Likes

Some have asked how I designed and made the stencil.
Pretty simple with Fusion 360.

1. Skull and bones jpg converted to svg with any free online utility (don’t ask me, there are zillions, search for it)
  2. Insert into design and copy/paste to make two of them for stencil.
  3. Sketch using Text feature for the words.
  4. “Explode” text so I can generate a tool path from it.
  5. In CAM - 2D contour text and svgs all together with
    .25 tabs about 1-2 inches apart. Height of tabs should be material thickness. In this case 4 mm hardboard.
  6. BOOM
  7. Cut it out on the CNC.
  8. BAM

This would make a great class!

7 Likes

Great idea, let them destroy “their” money instead of DMS’s.

2 Likes