[Resource] What local "makery" stores can't you live without?

The Donation Shelf … picked up some neat items! Priced right.

5 Likes

@mrcity, I was in there last week, because they carried a lot of perfectly sized shipping boxes. I found out that they were clearing all of the boxes out and not going to restock. In talking to the cashier, who has been there for many years, she said that another customer had bought out their entire stock of a specific valve that they carried, because he found out they were not going to be restocking them when they ran out. She said they were going to be doing that with a lot of the slow moving parts. So a lot of those odds and ends that you could only find there will be available until they sell out and then they just won’t restock them.

So basically they are moving into the 21st century of things. Elliott’s off maple did the same thing when they moved. That inventory is a lot of overhead. Which turns to higher prices to keep it.

The Elliots in Plano carries more stock. I am afraid that Amazon is hurting a lot of brick and mortar stores.

I used to love to walk around a hardware store and look for things I could use in jewelry. Really can’t do that on Amazon.

Times change and sometimes I don’t like it.

1 Like

Elliotts in Plano moved (directly across Coit Road from their former location). I was there a couple days ago and they were still unpacking boxes. Looks like the stock is about the same as the former location.

I’m bumping this thread because it is an awesome resource for members to be able to learn about trusted local resources.

• NOTE 1: This is NOT about discounts. Please do not post information about discounts on this thread, as it is a public thread.

• NOTE 2: I am not sure if Steve plans on updating the map that he was working on when he originally posted this. I’m bumping the thread purely to bring attention to the wonderful list of local stores that our members enjoy shopping at.

• NOTE 3: This is NOT a thread for debate or drawn out discussion. It’s a data gathering, informative thread. If a store has closed, moved, changed phone numbers, etc… that would be a good thing to mention. If you would like to have a discussion other than what changes have happened, I would ask you to please create a separate thread for that resource in particular. Thanks!

2 Likes

For clays

Trinity Ceramics
9016 Diplomacy Row, Dallas, Texas 75247 | 214-631-0540
(south of 183 off of Regal Row_
http://trinityceramic.com/

In Ft Worth

This company is well known, I have neve rwent there

Texas Pottery Supply & Clay Co.
Jill & Greg Davis

4401 Garland Drive, Haltom City, Texas 76117
New Phone: 817.503.2022
New FAX: 817.503.2112
http://www.texaspottery.com/Retail/

American Ceramic Supply
I just know that they are there
It seems that they only have low fire claps, likely the glazes are the sam
06 clays we fire to cone 6 a lot higher
2442 Ludelle Street Fort Worth, Texas 76105
Toll Free: 1-866-535-2651 Fax: 1-817-536-7120

1 Like

I only glossed through, so I have no idea if these are repeats.

Fiber artists know that unless you’re lucky, you have a bit of a drive to get to a good store.

The Knitting Fairy
2100 N State Hwy 360 Service Rd E #1904, Grand Prairie, TX 75050

Fancy Fibers
406 McKinney St, Farmersville, TX 75442
(Right up the road from her is Fiber Circle, too)

Fiber Lady
438 Southfork Dr, Lewisville, TX 75057

Mckinney Knittery
106-1/2 S Church St McKinney, Texas

2 Likes

Also other local fiber/tool sources

Apple Leef Farm
Leef Bloomemstiel
Spinning/weaving fiber, yarn, tools
http://www.appleleeffarm.com
7454 FM 121
P.O. Box 776
Van Alstyne, TX 75495
903-482-5128

White Rock Weaving Center
Anna Barry
Spinning/weaving fiber, yarn, tools
http://www.whiterockweaving.com
9533 Losa Dr., Ste. #2
Dallas, Tx 75218
214-320-9276

West 7th Wool
Yarn shop

3612 W 7th St, Suite D
Fort Worth, TX 76107
817-731-5044

1 Like

I created a category on the wiki “Makery Stores”. It kind of fit in with something else I thought needed done, so I did it.
I think it would be lovely to keep this kind of info on the wiki (I know, it gets out of date, but it’s something, and the search sucks, but sometimes it works better than Talk’s).
This is a category page.
It currently contains freshly minted pages for Fiber Arts Suppliers, Fired Arts Suppliers, and Metal Suppliers.

Do with it as you will…

4 Likes

Machine Shop maintains a list of metal suppliers (with inputs from Metal Shop). The list is also accessible from the Machine Shop committee page.

The list segregates those with a local “brick and mortar” presence vs. those that are online.

1 Like

These are my goto places where they are friendly to small orders.

Scrap metal yard with lots of plate, square and angles, sometimes you can find fire hydrants for your garden
Mostly steel, some aluminum
Westex Iron and Metal
1000 North Houston Street
Fort Worth, TX 76164
Telephone: 817-626-7033

Commerce Steel - New steel
Address: 2850 Nagle St, Dallas, TX 75220
Phone: (214) 744-3402

Metroplex welding
1970 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX 75220

5 Likes

Have added to wiki as well. Thank you!
I think someone (who isn’t you, based on screen names) recommended Commerce in my last class. But I didn’t write it down, so I didn’t remember…

2 Likes

If anyone knows a scrap yard with scrap sheet copper and brass
please let me know, I would love to find some roofing fluashing