[Resource] What local "makery" stores can't you live without?

Hey everyone,

I’ve scoured the past & present email & talk archives for places we have sent people to in order to get supplies for their projects, whether it be for metals, woods, electronics, plastics, ceramics, or you name it. With this data, I have compiled a list of addresses and geolocations, and would like to make a big map (with the wide-format printer) featuring all these places. My big question at the moment is:

What other places would you like to see on this map?

Stores in this list must have a local physical presence and must sell raw materials and/or consumable supplies for projects. Here’s what I have thus far:

[Metals] SB Specialty Metals, 1101 Ave. H East, Arlington, TX 76011
[Metals] Garland Steel, 312 South International Rd, Garland, TX 75042
[Metals] Wylie Steel, 2001 Texas 78, Wylie, TX 75098
[Metals] Metals4U, 1240 Majesty Dr, Dallas, TX 75247
[Metals] Metals Supermarket, 1401 Summit Ave. #7, Plano, TX 75074
[Metals] Metals Supermarket, 1216 Dolton Dr. #101, Dallas, TX 75207
[Wood] Woodcraft, 601 W Plano Pkwy, Plano, TX 75075
[Wood] Plywood Company, 4301 N Sylvania Av, Fort Worth, TX 76137
[Wood] Rockler, 800 N Coit #2500, Richardson, TX 75080
[Wood] Wood World, 13650 TI Blvd #101, Dallas, TX 75243
[Wood] Central Hardwoods, 1959 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX 75220
[Electronics] Tanner Electronics, 1100 Valwood Pkwy #100, Carrollton, TX 75006
[Electronics] Micro Center, 13929 N. Central Expwy, Dallas, TX 75243
[Electronics] Fry’s Electronics*, 2488 Market Place Blvd, Irving, TX 75063
[Electronics] Ham Radio Outlet, 701 E Plano Pkwy #406, Plano, TX 75074
[Electronics] Electronic Discount Sales, 908 E Pioneer Pkwy, Arlington, TX 76010
[Electronics] Allied Electronics†, 7151 Jack Newell Blvd S, Fort Worth, TX 76118
[Electronics] Mouser Electronics†, 1000 N Main St, Mansfield, TX 76063
[Electronics] Altex, 3215 Belmeade, Carrollton, TX 75006
[Electronics] BG Micro†, 3024 Lincoln Ct, Garland, TX 75041
[Hardware Store] Turner Hardware, 12895 Josey Ln #140, Farmers Branch, TX 75234
[Hardware Store] Lowe’s*, 1253 E Trinity Mills Rd, Carrollton, TX 75006
[Hardware Store] Home Depot*, 8555 Home Depot Dr, Irving, TX 75063
[Hardware Store] Harbor Freight*, 3050 N Josey Ln #106, Carrollton, TX 75007
[Hardware Store] Northern Tool & Equipment*, 1329 Stemmons Fwy, Lewisville, TX 75007
[Plastics] Allied Plastics, 1544 Valwood Pkwy, Carrollton, TX 75006
[Plastics] Allied Plastics, 10828 Shady Trail, Dallas, TX 75220
[Plastics] Johnson Plastics, 2707 Realty Rd #300, Carrollton, TX 75006
[Art Supplies] Asel*, 2701 Cedar Springs Rd, Dallas, TX 75201
[Art Supplies] Hobby Lobby*, 2325 S Stemmons Fwy Ste 400B, Lewisville, TX 75067
[Art Supplies] Michael’s*, 7635 N MacArthur Blvd, Irving, TX 75063
[Ceramics] Trinity Ceramic Supply, 9016 Diplomacy Row, Dallas, TX 75247
[Hobby Shop] Hobby Town USA*, 500 E Round Grove Rd, Lewisville, TX 75067

(* = More than 2 locations in town; nearest with respectable reviews listed)
(† = Online store with will-call pickup option)

I’d really like to see more listings in Tarrant County, south Dallas, and McKinney/Allen.

Here’s the general jist of the map thus far:

Since it’s still in the Alpha phase, many features are subject to change & are open for discussion. The legend will be printed on a separate page, and each star will probably turn into a box (or other geometric shape) with a different-colored number in it depending on resource type, while trying to be colorblind-friendly. It will be printed as a 24" by 36" map at a very nice DPI. Also, I thought it’d be cool to mount this on a piece of corkboard so people can stick different-colored push pins into the map to mark new places in between revisions (to be done every few months). This’ll make it a fun, interactive project with a continuously crowdsourced element too!

Looking forward to your feedback & stores to add,
Stephen

21 Likes

It looks like the Machine Shop Committee page ( https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Machine_Shop_Committee#Metal_Suppliers ) has one you don’t, Trident.

You might want to change the name a little bit if you think these guys could possibly get all “cease and desisty”: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maker’s_Mark :smile:

1 Like

Great idea Stevo! Could probably add some bio/foodie links like Wine Makers Toy Store / Dallas Homebrew. We get a lot of supplies for soda making and I’m sure several of the beer guys get stuff there.

http://www.finevinewines.com

There’s another place I’ve used before called Homebrew Headquarters. It’s not nearly as close to DMS, but probably still of note: https://www.homebrewhq.com/

1 Like

One Lumber place would be Hardwood Lumber Company of Dallas.

http://www.hlcdallas.com/contact.php

Plastics
http://www.regalplastics.net/locations.htm

Now Reynolds might fall under art supplies or some other category for Mold making but it should be included on the list.

1 Like

A place for raw lumber is Woods of Mission Timber:
http://www.woodsofmissiontimber.com/

And one place for end mills and a lot of machining and aircraft metals is CDC Supply in Richardson.
940 East Belt Line Road, Richardson, TX 75081 / (972) 918-9886. They have a lot of uncommon hardware you won’t find at Lowes. I buy drill bits and end mills from there.

Regards,
Manny

1 Like

Great idea!

I heard about an electronics place years ago that was located in far North Dallas, somewhere around Belt Line and Preston Road (within a few miles of there). It had a weird name; seems like it began with an “A.” It might have been Actical Electronics, but I’m not certain. I never went there, but I was told that they have every type of electronic connector you could imagine. It might be out of business, now.

We should include some chemical supply houses, too, including gas cylinders, though I don’t know any off the top of my head.

That was probably Altex, which is on the list

1 Like

My can’t live without fabric stores:

Golden D’or Fabric Outlet
10795 Harry Hines Blvd
Dallas, TX 75220

Best Fabrics, LLC
10850 Harry Hines Blvd
Dallas, TX 75220

*both only open during business hours of 9-5 Mon-Sat.

2 Likes

Stephen,

I love the concept!

Here is a welding supply place I like: http://www.garlandweldingsupply.com/

Garland Welding Supply 1960 Forest Lane Garland, Texas 75042
Phone: 972.487.8000

AirGas is also near there for gas cylinders.

Airgas Southwest 902 Nicholson Road Garland, TX 75042

Another Hobbytown USA near me:

8041 Walnut Hill Ln #8041, Dallas, TX 75231
Phone: (214) 987-4744

And another Harbor Freight:

Address: 6508 Skillman St, Dallas, TX 75231
Phone: (214) 221-3064

Good call on Trident and Regal Plastics. (they have been around for decades)

You might want to change the name a little bit if you think these guys could possibly get all >“cease and desisty”

You afraid of a letter to a non-profit that has a cutely named internal reference document? I don’t think so; we aren’t making whiskey.

Yet.

Besides, the name is catchy and more likely to engage their interest than annoy them if they are halfway cool.

But remember the first rule of Fight Club. :slight_smile:

JAG

2 Likes

The closest Airgas Branch is:
2615 Joe Field Road
Dallas, TX 75229
(972) 436-6586

For any propane tanks or fittings, try Northwest Propane, as the stock lots of fittings/regulators/hoses and other various propane related parts and can order in specialty parts for cheaper then you can normally find online. Unfortunately, they charge by the tank for refills on the standard 20lb tank, instead of by the gallon, so not a great solution if you just need a top off.

Northwest Propane -
1515 W Belt Line Rd,
Carrollton, TX 75006
(800) 274-6121

U-Haul - For propane fills by the gallon
1682 S Interstate 35 E
Carrollton, TX 75006
(972) 242-5179

If you need solenoid valves, try:
Butler & Land - They usually keep Asco Valves in stock
10823 Sanden Drive, Dallas, TX 75238
214-343-8800

Oooooh… just thought of another one from my mechanic days:

Metric Multistandard
http://www.metricmcc.com/
2200 Century Circle Irving, TX 75062
Phone - 972-870-1017

Years ago they used to be on Monroe Drive just a block south from the old DMS and they were the place to go if you needed some weird sized bolt or nut. (like me)

JAG

1 Like

brilliant idea, @mrcity. I had no idea where to get raw materials out here, and everyone I ask assumes I know my way around Dallas. Having just moved back after 15 years, I got lost going to the house I grew up in for 19 years.

I believe the closest Home Depot to DMS is at 11468 Grissom Lane, Dallas, TX 75229.

There are also Harbor Freights in:
Richardson 1704 E Belt Line Rd, Richardson, TX 75081 and in
Irving 1735 N. Story RD. #136, Irving, TX 75061

You might list the addresses that are located in the Metroplex of all of these chains from Google and list them.

My favorite plumbing supply store is right around the corner from DMS:
Beeco Plumbing Supply, 14015 North Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, TX 75234

Right next to Beeco is T-shirt Outlet that was mentioned in the DMS screenprinting class as a source of t-shirts.

I used to patronize Elliott’s Hardware on Maple Ave.in Dallas, but since they have downsized and because Turner’s Hardware is closer to me, I don’t visit them very much. I see on Google that Elliott’s has two other locations.

That is a real shame about Elliot’s on Maple. Back when I was a teenager, that place used to be awesome when it came to hardware, tools, gardening, etc. and I would find stuff there that no one else had.

After they downsized, Walmart is actually a better place to go for tools. Really sad.

But I think the Plano location is still okay last I checked. (which has been awhile)

JAG

Great idea and a good looking map.

Thanks to those of you who contributed support and more stores with address/phone/links! I’ve added the ones mentioned thus far, though QGIS seems to be acting very unstable for me on my 4K monitor in Linux. (Also, pat yourselves on the back for turning this thread into a useful artifact in & of itself. :wink: )

Now that we have a store listing in Sanger, I’d like anyone with knowledge of such places in Denton & Collin counties to speak up. The places we list don’t have to be near DMS, just near DMS members, and of good quality. Also, while Tarrant County works on getting their act together Makerspace-wise, let’s extend an olive branch and add more points there too.

@txsmithd, lots happened while you were gone! What used to be 4-way stops in some areas 20 years ago are now huge highway interchanges.

Thanks,
Stephen

I second Elliot’s Hardware http://www.elliottshardware.com/. They are my goto for fasteners and other hardware needs. I like their selection much better than Home Depot.

NAPPCO is another good fastener/hardware company. They mainly do industrial supply but you could find pretty much anything there. They are next to the old DMS location. http://www.nappco.com/contact.html

Has anyone mentioned Cedar Supply here in Carrollton. Might be too specialized but still worth a mention.

there is soon to be a new harbor freight at 66 and rowlett road (rowlett, 5 miles south of firewheel)