Resource: How to get signed off on tools when there are no classes on the calendar

New members and current members, if you aren’t able to make it to a class to get signed up on tools, here are some ways you can make that happen for yourself. I’ll be updating this thread as I find more information.

Remember, you can ALWAYS post to Talk and ask for help. If you post in the committee category, you’ll get the fastest response.

If you don’t get a response within a day or two, please tag either the committee chairperson or the team (@Team_TheNameOfTheCommittee) and it will send private messages to everyone listed on the team.

Committee chairs, please let us know how to get a class going that’s not scheduled, or if you can sign people off during office hours or maintenance.

Metal Shop:

Machine Shop

Woodshop Basics
In addition to Woodshop Basics 1-4, you can get signed off on the tools by attending Breadboard Bootcamp. If neither of these options meet your needs, post a request in the Woodshop category on Talk.

Woodshop - Lathe

Creative Arts

Creative Arts Fiber Arts:
Attend Fiberholic Fiberfrolic (search on calendar.dallasmakerspace.org) to learn from other members. Depending on who is present, you might be able to get help with knitting, crochet, needle felting, etc.

6 Likes

I would say most of all become involved in the particular committee that folks are interested in.
Come to a committee meeting, I can only speak for Metal Shop & Machine Shop. If you show up to the meeting & show interest in learning, we are generally helpful in teaching.

As @hon1nbo pointed out in Metal Shop, if you show up to a meeting to help straighten up/put effort into the committee, we will put effort into getting you trained quicker.

Machine Shop we have done the same thing. We want people involved, to build a community of makers.

Additionally the Machine Shop’s normal committee meeting is the 4th Saturday of the month at 5pm.

Metal Shops is normally the First Saturday’s at Noon

6 Likes