[RESOLVED] Full Spectrum Laser Is Down (PSU Issues)

I heart you Luke! awesome news. I hope to come up to the space Tuesday to use it, any idea if/when yall might be around that day?

I can meet you at the space Tuesday sometime after 7:00 PM and I can stay for a few hours. Hit me up on Tuesday if you think that will work for you.

Also Andrew has disassembled the PSU that was having issues. An internal component has completely failed, the same component that has failed in previous PSU of the same model. It appears to be a design issue since we’ve seen this problem before. There’s a newer model of the PSU that we already have on hand but were unable to get working before. I think we’re going to give it another shot (could be quicker than getting another PSU from China).

2 Likes

What component is failing? Can it be replaced or the supply modified so that we can keep replacements on hand?

If I recall correctly the last time we looked into replacing the component it was difficult to source it. Andrew can supply specifics on the part that failed.

Is the lasersaur going to require new training class or is it controlled similar enough to prior laser for previously trained members to use once it’s released?

Also, the bed looks significantly larger, what’s the max cut size on the lasersaur?

I have 10 days until deadlines so hoping one of the two lasers gets released for general users soon. Thanks for all the efforts you guys put in on these tools.

@lukeiamyourfather - I would like to see if I can get an “On Air” sign made for the Digital Media Studio, but I do not have any training on the laser cutter. Will it be possible for me to get that completed?

@dougemes - I will be on site tomorrow as well. Can we meet so I can grab that Canon XL1 from you? I haven’t heard anything about digitizing tape, so I assume you haven’t had time. I am handing it over to the Board to take care of.

Thank you!

1 Like

@Rick_Fontenot

New Training will be required for the Lasersaur… Once we have more details, it will be posted…

I just created a new thread for Laser Training questions to keep this thread focused on updates about the Full Spectrum Laser being down:

Feel free to post your training questions on that thread…

Any other questions not directly related to training (for that new thread), please create a new thread specific to what you want to know (I believe the dimensions, etc… are more than likely already documented on TALK and almost certainly documented on the WIKI:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Lasersaur_Laser_Cutter

Thanks!
Lisa
:smile:

1 Like

Reminder… This thread is ONLY for the members who maintain the Lasers to provide updates.

If you have questions about either laser in general, please see if there is a recent thread that may already answer your question(s); and, if not, please create a new thread.

If you would like to be able to join the Laser Committee Hangout - where we chat about all sorts of Laser stuff - often including who is planning on being at the 'Space when to look into this or that, etc… Please send a PM to William, Romeo, Luke, or me (or any others you have heard are on the Hangout) to be added.

Thanks for helping keep this thread clear of ‘chatter’ so all members can find the updates relevant to the current ‘issue’. :smile:

1 Like

Quick update… The Full Spectrum laser is still down.

A replacement power supply has been ordered. The replacement is a different model and from a different manufacturer since we’ve had so many issues with the existing power supply. Hopefully the Full Spectrum Laser machine will be up again soon.

1 Like

Luke, do we have an ETA on delivery and installation?

As soon as possible. I’d say 2 weeks at most… more than likely next week.

To post an unrelated question, is the lasersaur waiting on a bed before training starts on it?

The power supply will be here Thursday assuming someone is able to accept the package in the morning at the makerspace. It will likely be up and running by the weekend.

1 Like

The Lasersaur needs bed material and a computer. The bed material arrived today. The computer is at the makerspace but needs to be setup (has no operating system at this point). I’ll work on it some this evening.

2 Likes

Did y’all decide on the OS yet? I’ll be there Thursday (I could tomorrow if needed) if you need help, but Stan and Lisa know how to reimage machines also :smile:

1 Like

Lubuntu is what I’m thinking for now. When we get a better computer we could switch to Windows or dual boot. Using one of those one time activation Windows licenses would be a waste on that old computer in my opinion.

1 Like

The Full Spectrum Laser machine is back online with a new power supply. Note the emergency stop is broken so please use the key switch to shut it down in case of an emergency. A new emergency stop switch will be ordered soon.

2 Likes