How To: Get trained on the laser(s)

Hi @Natasha_Cooks (and anyone wanting to be trained on the Laser(s)) :smile:

Most members wait for a training class (typically they have been being held every other Wednesday; but, that may change come Juneā€¦ Keep your eyes on TALK for any changes along those linesā€¦ :wink: )

However, anyone who is currently an active Dallas Makerspace member that is listed as a Laser Trainer can opt to hold a one-one training session - if they have the time to do so.

Hereā€™s a link to the listā€¦ Please Note: The list needs to be updated (some listed are not currently active membersā€¦ .then again, because of that - you are not likely to just randomly run into them at the 'Space eitherā€¦ :wink: )

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Committee#Trainers

Keep in mind that the Laser Training only covers Safety and very basic operation. It does not really go into detail on how to convert your files to a format that the laser(s) use, etcā€¦ For something like that, you would probably be best off asking someone who uses it a lot, if they are familiar with converting ā€œxā€ format into something the laser software can use, etcā€¦ :smile:

I hope that helps!

:slight_smile:

Continuing the discussion from Full Spectrum Laser Is Down (PSU Issues):

3 Likes

Iā€™m supposed to be listed as a trainer, but I am not.

I was thinking that you wanted to attend more classes before you started training. Have you done any trainings, with a current trainer present yet? If so, howā€™d it go? Are you ready to start holding your own classes? If so, Iā€™ll be glad to add you as a trainer! :slight_smile:

One thing I have learned when I teach a class is that the one thing I didnā€™t learn is the one thing that someone in the class will ask me. Iā€™d like to take more classes so as to save face when that happens.

I presented a training session with Andrew LeCodie several weeks ago. I could have done betterā€“my mind went blank halfway through the sessionā€“but Iā€™m thinking I should push ahead.

Since that time, Iā€™ve used the laser a few times, so Iā€™m a bit more familiar with how to use it.

Iā€™m flying out-of-state on Wednesday, and I wonā€™t be back for a week. I probably wonā€™t be able to train anyone until June at the earliest.

Itā€™s all a part of the learning curveā€¦ :smile:

William and I had been talking about creating new / updated material to use for the Laser Training - before we even moved to the new 'Space. That will help the trainers stay on track during the training; as well as give the new laser users a readily available, reliable and consistent source to review.

With the new laser coming online very soon, itā€™s even more important to have clear instructions on how to use both, as there will be quite a bit of differences and it will be handy to have something available as a solid reminder of what do do (and NOT do) with each machine.

If anyone is interested in meeting over the weekend to put our heads together to create new training/reference material, let me know. :smile:

As far as adding you to the list of authorized trainers, letā€™s revisit it when you return - to allow you a chance to have another training session under your belt. By then, hopefully we will have training material that will help all of us! :smile:

Thanks!
Lisa
:smile:

I think that a ā€œTo-Doā€ list would be sufficient reference for me to keep on track while leading a training session.

I donā€™t have a problem with trying out another session when I get back. Right now, things are kind of crazy on my end, with everything that is happening at one time.

1 Like

Speaking of laser training, I notice there is a Laser Certification class scheduled for this Wednesday, May 20 at 7:30pm. What is the likelihood that will still happen given the PSU issues on the Full Spectrum?

Randy (@mrwhiskerss) ā€¦ Normally, I would say ā€˜yesā€™ - because weā€™ve done that; but, thereā€™s a lot going on. Ultimately itā€™s up to the trainerā€¦ I believe @AndrewLeCody is the trainer for this weekā€¦

Thanks, Lisa (@LisaSelk). Hopefully, it will happen.

1 Like

Sorry, Iā€™m going to cancel tomorrowā€™s class for tomorrow, as it looks like the laser may still be down at that time.

Understand. Hard to train when the equipment wonā€™t cooperate :frowning:

However, I would be interested in training as soon as practical. It is access to a laser cutter that sparked my interest in DMS.

Ooh Iā€™m on board! Now to track someone down for training. Haha.

No worries guysā€¦ one way or another weā€™ll get yā€™all trained! It does work much better when there is a laser to practice on. Hopefully not much longer. Looks like there will be some rewiring to be done on the Full Spectrum. Keep your eyes on the current thread for the outage ( [RESOLVED] Full Spectrum Laser Is Down (PSU Issues) ). Thx yā€™all! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks like Lasersaur is working now, but I donā€™t see any laser training classes on the main schedule. Does anyone know if theyā€™ll pop up soon or if itā€™s still in the mode of contacting the trainer list to schedule a one on one?

Thanks,
Rick

1 Like

I too am interested.

Wednesday July 1st at 8:00 PM Iā€™ll be teaching a class that covers the Lasersaur. It should show up on the calendar soon.

1 Like