Resize a gold ring

My wife needs a family ring resized from 4.5 to 6.5. Do we have the tools to do this, or could someone recommend a jeweler? We got one quote for about $200, and I have no idea if that’s right or not. The ring is white gold, possibly antique white gold.

Not an expert.

But – if you’re going up 2 sizes, they’re probably adding gold. I think just stretching it on a mandrel would probably make it too thin.

1 Like

Oh, and @nausser915 is a jeweler. He may be able to give some advice.

1 Like

Thanks Beth!

@nausser915 any advice would be appreciated

Yes, DMS has the basic tools to do this. However, we do not keep the ancillary materials and supplies needed to complete the repair and properly finish-out on hand.

Without any idea of what the ring looks like it’s hard to say if that price is right or not. It doesn’t sound unreasonable, but others may charge more depending on the thickness of the shank, the number of stones on the ring, the need for a rhodium finish on white gold, and your desired turnaround time.

If you’d like me to take a look at it, DM me and we can schedule some time to check it out. I’m sure I can help point you in the right direction.

3 Likes