Resin Sig Meeting 4/19

It’s that time again! We will be voting on getting another cabinet (ours is great but we are growing exponentially). We will be talking about how to use the rest of our money and take ideas.
We will be making some proto putty or if anyone would like to demo something cool just let me know.
Anyone have any ideas?

3 Likes

This might be a bit different but what about a show and tell failures? I am sure everyone has a bad pour, color not what they wanted, bad mold, etc.

We learn from failure, might help to learn as a group :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:joy:But everything I make is perfect?

I wish I still had my agate molds from when I tried to recreate the wheel. I like this idea.

I will also be bringing up the possibility of doing bulk resin buys for those that don’t want to purchase a gallon or two at a time. Even though we don’t count resin as a consumable, I have had many members ask me if we could do this. It would involve basically collecting money to purchase it for the parties or pairing up individuals who are looking for a specific type.

4 Likes

Correct me if I am wrong but I don’t believe we charge the members for resin but how or why should that be different from filament or other consumables that we do charge for?

How expensive is the resin? Do members need to pay for the amount they use?

We don’t have resin as a consumable in the Resin SIG, but the resin we do buy for classes is quite expensive. Wood turning alumilite is $160/gallon with a two month shelf life so a lot of members don’t want to buy it. The art resin is about $120 for two gallons.
We don’t keep it as a consumable because it’s too easily tainted. Someone could easily ruin an entire batch by putting a bit of b back into an a bottle.

Lara,
I can not make it, can I proxy my yes vote for the cabinet it is really needed. Is there a space to put the cabinet?

We will have the space when we move into the new CA area. It is very cramped in the one we have and I’d like to store the vacuum pots/vacuums in there. If anyone has any better suggestions I can gather them and we can bring them to the next CA meeting.

1 Like

Ugh, sorry I missed last night’s meeting (trying to fight off an emerging chest cold, and also just plain forgot about the meeting).

Any summarized (bullet point-level) decisions arising from last night’s meeting?

I will be scheduling two ‘Resin 101- ‘Get Certified on the Vacuum Pump/Chamber & Pressure Pot’ classes, one for late April/early May, and another one for late May. Should be able to get those on the calendar this weekend.

1 Like

That’s great news about the classes. I will type up formal minutes but basically we voted to not yet purchase anything until after we move with expansion. A lot is still up in the air in terms of where we will live - be it CA, Machine Shop or becoming a committee of our own.

We are going to put out a few feelers to brick in the yard, Reynolds, and alumilite to see if we can get their product wholesale so we can start to build kits we can sell to members who don’t want to buy gallons and gallons of resin. This is not a guaranteed item and will likely need discussion at the next meeting.
Next meeting will likely have a lot of discussion as to both above topics.

3 Likes