Resin SIG, First Meeting

Woo Hoo!!! Makin’ it rain for the Resin SIG!

2 Likes

I will be there. I can not make it to all the meetings as my interest are vast, and I’m an often stretched as far as I can go but I will be there on the 28th.

Thank you,
Anita Willis

3 Likes

I’m interested in donating and a wishlist of equipment and supplies would be very helpful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Julie I would love to try some of your resin molds. May I borrow any larger one you may have?

1 Like

Sure! I’ll start dividing them up during Christmas break to share. It would be great to free up some space so I can store more molds. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Woodshop Chair Mark has agreed to have a resin polishing set up that attached to the lathe!

3 Likes

Let me first start with the disclaimer - I admit to knowing exactly diddly about resin casting/curing.

If the committee has a “cure shelf”, I might suggest you construct something similar to a sectional barrister bookcase; enclosed with a hinged door on one or more shelves. I suggest this as a way to keep airborne crud out of the resin while it’s curing.

5 Likes

That is awesome!!

Or a setup like the spider house in science, where vinyl flaps can be zippered down.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, I just sent the shopping list for the buffing wheels and polishing compounds over to him to buy. I will be donating the rod, bolts, and washers for the system.

Yea! I cut my resin piece up and have wet sand paper on order! I’ll be ready for the buffers soon… no rush i have like 20ish other projects in the works.

Ugh my interest are so vast, I can’t keep up with everything I want to do and everything I am doing!

2 Likes

Amen sister

You are correct. Currently Plastics is a SIG under Machine Shop with a minimum of of dedicated floor space granted to Machine Shop for it.

Today at 5PM is the monthly Machine Shop committee. We’ll be discussing future layouts for 102 at expansion. I strongly encourage those interested in Plastics to come to the meeting and go with us next door as we arrange our floor templates - there aren’t many for Plastics so far.

Also discuss what future equipment is desired and see how that will actually fit in the space provided.

1 Like

Silicone molds are already 70% off at Michael’s. Might be usable for freeze and fuse glass in addition to resin.

Those snowmen are great!

1 Like

I bought one of each - should have plenty to share. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Reminder the first meeting is tonight at 7pm. See you all there.

1 Like

As of last check we have 23 people signed up, should be a great meeting!

5 Likes

And it was! Thank you serving as point person for this event. And thank you @Kriskat30 for the demo.

1 Like