Resin SIG, First Meeting

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

@Lordrook
Should we expect a listing on calendar.dallasmakerspace.org for this?

Lets figure out where we belong first, but yes my intention was to set a meeting on the calendar.

2 Likes

PIG SIG’s RIG SIG :smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to this committee taking shape, I have some resin casting projects that are coming up.

We’re honestly extremely lucky to have the Reynold’s shop right down the street from us. We have incredible access to materials for something like this. I wish they weren’t so expensive but still, super lucky…

1 Like

And they’re always offering to come teach us how to do stuff too

2 Likes

The resin casting group would of course be welcome. At present, the only air we will have is slated for the vacuum former. we don’t currently have any equipment until the new space opens. We can certainly consider the addition of a pressure pot.

1 Like

Since “plastics” doesn’t officially exist yet, and since CA has a pressure pot, and since a SIG doesn’t actually need to start under a Committee, and since this already has a starting seed of $50, why not just meet as an independent group to start.

There is already a ton of interest in this. Get together, figure out the things this group wants to do, then post expansion you can figure out where best you fit.

In fact, I’ll match @Scott_Blevins $50 so you all have an even $100 to kickstart your SIG.

6 Likes

Awesome man, so then I will go set something up for the 28th in the evening and we can start working on what the group wants to do. Then down the road, when Plastics is up and running, we can further the discussion of where we belong.

@nicksilva CA has a pressure pot and vacuum chamber that can be used for resin casting stuff. If we absorb into Plastics at some point, maybe we can have a discussion of those pieces of equipment moving with us.

1 Like

Meeting is created and here is the link, it will be up to RSVP in 2 days.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/9114

Also, would anyone be interested in a pen blank class right after the meeting? I figure I will already be up there with my equipment, so why not.

3 Likes

I would love to join. I use epoxy all the time in some furniture I make. It would be great to learn other things.

Its great for filling in those cracks in wood and when using a 2 part epoxy the pigments and effect powders really make it pop.

1 Like

easy to use and takes any finish. If you want some time I can demo how

I do it. It is not complicated but there are steps and you have to be a

little patient. It is cheap for the yield too. If you google Inlace they should come up

Looking forward to the class. Learning new things. Thanks for the feedback.

I have been a member for a few years. Mostly come in when few are around

and use the joiner and planer.

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW

[email protected]

if you would bring some to the meeting and discuss that would be awesome, thank you!

1 Like

Thanks Nick! The resin group is certainly welcome to continue to use Creative Arts as their home until their space is ready.

2 Likes

One other thing you need to consider is ventilation. Some resins give off a powerful odor. Also long term exposure to fumes is not real good for you.

1 Like

Some sure do, and we will cover those, and other safety concerns, to be sure.

We won’t have time for a demo but if they can see the results I

would be willing to, later, walk them through the procedure on an individual basis.

I also have a way to clean up epoxy when you use if as a filler for cracks.

Just using a heat gun and a chisel. Way faster and cheaper than sandpaper.

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW

[email protected]

1 Like

I am so there…

I definitely want to do this.

2 Likes