Resin and where to start

Hi all I’m very interested in all the different things you can do with resin but I have no idea where to start does anyone have any suggestions or tips I’d also accept project ideas :blush::grin:

2 Likes

We should have some project classes coming up this month. Is there something particular you are interested in?

1 Like

I just put up a class for resin casting a “potion bottle” which should be live in about 56 hours. See link below. I am one of a couple of the resin instructors, and this class will give you some the basics. Also, if you have an intermediate skill level in woodturning I will be doing another dragon egg class that same weekend (class post pending).

Do you have any goals for resin casting, or just trying to get the basics down? (ha, Laura beat me to it by a minute)

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/edit/14997

2 Likes

awesome I want to do the dragon egg one I was sad when I missed it

4 Likes

Fixed the URL here:

honestly it all looks cool and I want to work it in to my projects but I have no idea where to start I like the pendants ive seen on etsy

I will also do a pen blank class or 2 in the future using the cutoffs we have left from the dragon egg class.

1 Like

cool how many spots will there be for the dragon egg?

Let me know if I can assist. I can put up a pressure pot/vacuum chamber certification class if needed in January.

2 Likes

is that something I need to do before I can take those classes?

3 spots. I cant count that more than that many lathes will be working, plus its a tough class so it gives more per-student time.

Edit- Regarding the pressure pot and vacuum chamber, they are not required before the classes, only if you intend to buy your own resin and start working solo. Sounds like something you might want to get signed off on at some point.

1 Like

cool I guess ill look for those classes as well.
any idea when the dragon egg will be I know my brother would want to do it as well

1 Like

It’s required if you wish to use the pressure pot and/or the vacuum chamber to stabilize wood or other organic material for resin casting, or to cast your own resin blanks (for example, pen blanks, knife/gun scales (handles), dragon egg blanks, etc.

Taking Steve’s classes may or may not incorporate these two tools (depending on the class), but you generally do not need the tool certification prerequisite to take his classes because he tends to come prepared with pre-made blanks.

But if you want to make your own, and you want to use the DMS tools, then yes, you will need to get the tools certification.

cool ill keep an eye out for them so I can get signed up since this seems like something id be into

1 Like

I’ll schedule one, be on the look out.

3 Likes

That would be amazing!

1 Like

Will you post a picture of the resin bottle? I had a blast doing the dragon egg class, want to do more.

1 Like

I also put up some resin classes for the last Sunday of January. I just added them this weekend, so it’ll be a day or 2 until they hit the visible calendar.
One for a petri dish style coaster and one for a drip effect shot glass.
Both use silicone molds and alcohol ink for the effect.
I talk briefly about different resin types and general safety & cleanliness.

3 Likes

awesome ill try my best to be there

1 Like