Reserved parking spaces

So 20% down on 1.6M is 320K… divide that by 1500 members and you get a smidgen over $213 per member.

Why not do a fund drive from membership and do a fundraising sale to help DMS buy a new building? Ask the city the building is in to give a grant to also help with the down payment.

3 Likes

There is an abandoned Albertsons near the Garland/Mesquite border. It is directly off an exit on 635.

1 Like

Interesting, REIT’s are the vehicle that finance most Medical Buildings next to hospitals. Several health services companies and a mix of doctors funds the REIT to build the office suites. And many of those Doctors have sweet rent rates and they help pay back their own investment.

1 Like

If you know someone with that kind of resources that would bet on DMS being around with resources similar to our present situation for 10+ years, that’s awesome.

I wouldn’t take that bet with our contentious governance and refusal to adopt a structure appropriate for our size that encourages the sort of stability that arrangement demands.

4 Likes
3.d.			 	Abandoned National Guard Facility at Central Park

At the request of Mayor Pro Tem David Gibbons and Council Member Rich Aubin, Council is requested to discuss the proposed use of the abandoned National Guard facility at Central Park for “maker space” operations.

https://destinyhosted.com/agenda_publish.cfm?id=42752&mt=ALL&get_month=9&get_year=2017&dsp=ag&seq=205

3 Likes

Interested in seeing what came from that meeting.

2 Likes

They’re going to raze it.

2 Likes

two different things I think. National Guard facility vs Rec. center.

Also interested in what the outcome was.

1 Like

Way too far. :frowning:

Would make it a special trip rather than things that could easily be done in an evening.

Is this not in relation to the Garland Makerspace?

The oldest and largest of the three armory buildings was built in 1956. There is 38,000 square feet of classroom, repair shop and warehouse space, but Garland officials say it would take $7 million to renovate the buildings. The council is instead considering razing them as it plans the skate park along Glenbrook Drive.

1 Like

good stuff. what a bummer.
skate park? That’s just what we need. More brain dead millennial skaters vs. intelligent makers.

Well, a building that old will require remediation too. It will be full of asbestos.

1 Like

Asbestos remediation has already been done on the complex. It does need a new roof on one building, and a lot of other work.

I’d be willing to bet that soil remediation would have to be done as well. It was after all a military complex and we know how they like(d) to just dump stuff.

American Airlines area in Dallas and the entire Victory development is
built on a brownfield site, There was a power plant there and a slughthouse among other
things

:rofl: :laughing: :cry: :grinning:

1 Like

completely untrue - quite the contrary in the last 3.5 decades in fact.

Funny, still getting test reports about the drinking water affected by their dumping stuff while I was enlisted.

like the tap water that could catch fire on the fake news a few years ago ?