Request for advice - cutting glass & mirrors?

Hi y’all,

I have two home repair projects that involve cutting glass, and I’m not sure where to start. Does DMS have tools that would be appropriate for this? I see that glass is on the “etch, can’t cut” list for the Thunder laser CNC tables; I guess they aren’t high enough power for cutting?

The first is a mirror that I made the mistake of setting on concrete. One end of it is broken and jagged now :frowning: I’d be happy if I could just cut off that end of the mirror and smooth the edge.

The second project is a little trickier. My grandmother would like me to replace a small window on a piece of nice furniture; the glass for that piece would need to be cut into a diamond (trapezoid? rhombus? I don’t remember my shapes :stuck_out_tongue:)

I’ve attached pictures of both. Any advice is appreciated :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Alex

I’m a dummy, I didn’t attach pictures.

Mmmm. We should probably ask @meanbaby. I’m not sure that any of our equipment is big enough for the mirror. You could do the “score and snap” thing, and I think probably the diamond sanding sponges would work for smoothing the sharp edge.

My personal feeling is that you might want to have a pro cut that piece for the furniture. @TLAR does framing, and has some professional glass cutting equipment at his shop. Or, he might have a better idea. I personally would hate to try and get that sharp point on the bottom without a saw. Well, we have a wet-saw, but glass still loves to break.

2 Likes

I’m only at DMS on the weekends. I’d be happy to clear you on the glass band saw and ring saw. If the mirror is large and thick it can be tfckiy to cut.

The door glass again large glass is hard to hold and cut. Out equipment is more for hobbiest. @TLAR has a wall cutter, no holding involved making an easily cut. The installing and removing the glass from
The door I have not a clue

Thanks for the suggestions, y’all. In concept I’d like to learn how to do these repairs myself, but between preserving these pieces & the energy to do it, I’m okay with paying a pro for help. I’ll reach out to @TLAR

Alex,

You may knock out both projects in one trip by going to one of my vendors. They are very close to the Makerspace and do amazing things with glass and mirror.
Take your “projects” over to Shaun & tell him that Tom (me) sent you.
Addison Glass and Mirror
1415 Whitlock Ln #100, Carrollton, TX 75006

3 Likes