Repair broken antenna cable 2005 Honda CRV

The antenna cable just inside the body is broken, possibly chewed from a squirrel infestation. Any tips on repairing this or how to remove the antenna assembly? Thinking I need to pull a new antenna cable and attach to the existing assembly.

2 Likes

Some modern cars can make fishing an aerial cable a pain so you may want to tape the new cable to the old one at the fender (cut the old cable at the antenna mast mount). Remove the radio inside the car and disconnect the antenna cable and pull the cable gently - with the intent of having the old cable ‘guide’ the new cable into the car - it helps to have a second pair of hands (like an electrician fishing a wire in conduit).

This is one of those tasks that takes longer to explain than it takes to actually execute.

3 Likes

Thanks, I think I follow you on the fishing topic and there’s no problem with cutting the cable, it’s already chewed all the way through :slight_smile: Any ideas on removing the antenna mast mount? It’s difficult to impossible to work with while installed on the body and attaching the new cable is going to be difficult with it in there.

1 Like

Those recesses in the top of the unit allow you to turn that nut, which is what holds the whole shebang in. There are tools for that.

No idea if DMS has any. Most folks use needle nose or similar to engage the slots and twist. Be careful about slipping off and scuffing paint, though.

3 Likes

jay,

When do you plan on doing the install?

Andrew is right, a pair of needle nose pliers works in the event we don’t have a universal antenna tool kit.

3 Likes

I will pick up a replacement antenna cable and give it a try next weekend. I tried the twist thing originally, without any luck, but not too aggressively.

1 Like

I had no luck getting this thing loose with needle nose pliers. I was able to restore some service using a patch cord with alligator clips but I’d like to deploy a real fix here. Any idea if we have the antenna wrench by chance? The car will be at the space this afternoon if anyone has any suggestions or ideas.

2 Likes

Tried snap ring pliers in the antenna ring notches? That’d be my next thought.

2 Likes

Will give that a try, thanks!