Removing Filament From Print Head / Nozzle

Is there a “proper / approved” method for removing the filament from the print head / nozzle when it seems to be stuck in there ?? Here’s the situation.

I’m pretty new to 3D printing. I went into the 3DP lab yesterday to test print something. I chose an open printer and noticed that it had a spool of the DMS-provided orange filament already installed and fed into the head / nozzle. I was going to swap that spool out for my own spool. I pressed down firmly on the latch (yes, I pressed down firmly and it moved down to the “free” position) and I pulled on the filament to remove it from the head / nozzle, but it wasn’t going to budge. I figure it had become embedded in the nozzle through being melted during the previous user’s print / use.

How do you change spools when the installed spool is already melted into the nozzle ?? What is the removal / purging procedure ?? Hoping this isn’t a dumb newb question.

Yes, You need to head the head up first.

Once it’s hot you can swap filament and do some manual extrusions with teh head above the able to get a clean stream of the new filament, and also clean the outside of the head so that the extruded filament is not sticking to it.

Great !! Yeah, I don’t know how to do any of that yet, but I guess I’ll figure it out. Thanks !!

One of the Octoprint tabs lets you set head and bed temp. Another will let you move teh bed in three axes, it also lets you extrude a specific length of filament. I suspect if you ask anyone else printing, they’ll show you. You can also look at the Octoprint documentation on line. If I’m around I’ll be happy to walk you through it, but I’m hardly an expert.

Excellent !! Thanks for the tips !!