Remote VCarve Access

I’ve been gone for awhile, so we can’t use Vcarve remotely anymore? :frowning:

v9 is on the jump server and you can always download the Makerspace version for free to your home PC (though its files can’t be opened by the earlier jump server version).

1 Like

Glad to see you back Rodney

1 Like

ok i found the install file, but it’s asking for license info, where do we get that?

this may be what you’re after…if I’m following this thread correctly…
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/vcarve-pro-11-getting-started/84360/2?u=jast

says page is private or doesn’t exist for me :frowning:

If you haven’t yet, you need to go to the Green Dot category and make sure to get validated there. Licenses are only for members and that’s one of the ways that we keep track of it. I believe that without being part of the Green Dot group you will not be able to see that page.

We will need to get you through the next Machine class and checkout session. The machine has been rebuilt and all the existing user authorizations have been removed from AD. People are being readded as they test out. I expect you will like the new setup and the fact the machine is ready for use and not torn up all the time.

No issues on the recert, i need a refresher anyway. For now i’m just trying to get the software to work.

The MS license key isn’t working on 11, and from what i can tell, it was only for 5 PC’s. The v9 version is also asking for a license key.

So there’s no way to use vcarve remote anymore that works.

You want to install the VCarve 11 trial version at home, then add our MakerSpace ID and not mess with any ‘license key’ on your home version. Once you do that and restart VCarve it will still say ‘trial’ but also ‘makerspace’ and work fine. You can only export toolpaths on select machines at the makerspace itself; this is by design and how the new licensing model is setup by the vendor.

I just logged into the jump server and VCarve Pro 9.5 launches just fine.

Here is what the desktop shortcut launches:

I get this

and then it takes me to the vcarve home page

V9.x is deprecated.

Can you try the VCarve 11 trial on JUMP instead? It launches for me

Once you enter our makerspace ID and relaunch you’ll get this instead

ok v.11 on jump server works for me now. Not sure what happened but its opening now. So we can design at home, but we have to go to the space with our file to export the tool paths?

When did that change, it was cool to design and export on the remote server, so you would be ready to go when you got to the space.

The Makerspace licensing for VCarve doesn’t allow us to do that. We have 5 licenses that allow toolpath exporting and that have to be on single user machines; we can’t put one on a machine like Jump that allows multiple simultaneous uses.

Edit: I’m not really an SME on this but have had to dig into it a bit lately. Someone like @jast or @SWA or @IanLee may have more info to share on this.

okie dokie, no worries, TY sir and everyone else for the help to get me going again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Suggested workflow for vcarve:

Download and install the latest vcarve trial at home

Input the makerspace ID into the trial vcarve when it opens.

You can now import, plan, and create tool paths on your local home computer. You cannot Export toolpaths.

Come into DMS and use one of the authorized vcarve export computers.

Export your tool paths onsite.

If you don’t have a computer you can also plan on-site if you wish.

1 Like

wow we can’t even vector export to dxf or svg

Other changes have been made to the machine workflow itself including:

bring your own bits.

bring / use a spoil board under your cut

Damage to the table spoilboard will result in a fine and/ or re-training / ban.