Remote Surveillance of 3d printers

I checked the USB camera connections on FarRighty this weekend and restarted it’s Pi and the webcam has been working for a few days if looking in Octoprint however it’s showing down and no details have updated on this summary page. There’s also never any details for Farlefty and Lefty and yet Righty is bang on with webcam and status information!

I’d be willing to help with this further.

1 Like

I just saw somebody playing with Lefty… that’s creepy.

I tried the page on my phone and it doesn’t appear to work on Chrome but does work on Safari (iOS obviously).

Edit: just trying to help by providing more data :wink:

1 Like

I’m the one who originally set up the status page. I’ve since returned to school in NY, and my membership has lapsed. I don’t have the ability to remotely access any of the systems anymore, so I can’t fix anything myself. That said, I have an idea of what the missing status info might be. If the versions of Octoprint have been updated, the data access APIs changed at a certain point. I had updated one of the 4 access scripts (righty, if memory serves), and left the others alone since they all had the older version of Octoprint. If you want to dig into the code (it’s mostly PHP), talk to @bscharff to get credentials to the web server that’s hosting that page. It should be resonably straightforward to update the other three printers status scrapers to the new API (mostly copy-pasting, and grabbing the access keys from the octoprint settings page).

5 Likes

Ha! I knew Righty was special! For various reasons, other members have made changes on the different Banana Pis; and, as a result, the other three printers each have slightly different configurations - which is not good for a production environment. I have been planning on creating backups of all four (in-case something needs to be rolled back), then using the image from Righty as a base for all four of the PolyPrinters. I ordered some SD Cards last week, and expect them to arrive tomorrow. I’ll post an update on this thread once all four are configured the same (to match Righty - since Righty is definitely the most stable of them all! :slight_smile: )

Thanks Sean! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I updated the code for the 3D Printer Status Overview page. Now all the ‘status’ messages and video streams are working for the four PolyPrinter 3D printers.

While connected to the internal wifi at Dallas Makerspace, go to:
http://192.168.200.100

While connected to the Internet from any other connection, go to:
http://dallasmakerspace.org/3dfab

I’ve also done some other work on the Pi’s… I expect to have all four using the same base image by the end of the week.

I’ll post another update once I’m done with all four…

Thanks!
:slight_smile:

ps: Please remember to continue reporting any issues (in 3D Fab - or anywhere else at the 'Space) via our new ticket system at: https://dallasmakerspace.org/helpdesk. Thanks! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That lion is going to miss its camera.

1 Like

Lol, that picture has gotten way more air time than I ever expected. If you’re curious about its source:

3 Likes

All 4 are back to the lion. I tried a quick power cycle of the electronics on lefty, I’ve found that works on my personal printer but no dice this time. They are also all in use or I’d try a bit of troubleshooting.

Usually rebooting the Pi works to resolve the camera issue. Don’t pull the microUSB plug on the Pi itself, you can usually reboot it from the GUI.

@jphelps ~ Thanks for taking the time to let us know. Any time something doesn’t seem to be working as expected, it would be most helpful if you would open a ticket. That will ensure we are aware of the issue (since we don’t monitor the TALK forums for trouble reports), as well as help us with tracking of issues, etc…

As @themitch22 pointed out, restarting the Pi associated with the camera that isn’t synchronizing with the status page will usually resolve the issue. That being said, as he mentioned, please ONLY use the GUI (the option on the OctoPrint Web Interface) to restart it - NEVER unplug the cables. The restart option will be in the upper right corner of the web page for the printer. Naturally, they should only be restarted when they are not currently printing. If restarting the Pi via the Web Interface does not resolve the issue, please open a ticket.

Thanks!
Lisa

To be able to see if printers are currently in use, I have made the 3D Printer Status Overview page accessible externally from the Internet again.

Some things to keep in mind:

• The cameras are going to be replaced, so all of the cameras are currently OFFLINE; however, you will be able to see the Printer Status and get an idea how much time is remaining on the current print job.

• The page is NOT very pretty at the moment. I was going to work on making it fit better, as well as add additional 3D Fab related information (upcoming classes, notices, etc…) on it; but, Mitch mentioned that he would like to work on redesigning it. In the meantime, it is clunky but functional. :wink: :slight_smile:

• Even if it appears that a print job is almost complete and the printer may become available, please remember that there is often a queue. Also, even if a printer is available “at the moment” that you check it, there is no guarantee that it will still be available by the time you get to the 3D Fab room.

The URL is still: https://dallasmakerspace.org/3dfab at this time. (It may change in the near future. If it does, we will let you know.)

[center]

[/center]

Thanks!

4 Likes

Kudos for the “camera offline” filler pic…

4 Likes

We need something like this with an image of a big copier for the Samsung…

1 Like

Can the link to the status overview page be posted on the wiki? I looked but couldn’t find it there.

I also changed the status of Righty to inoperable on the Tool Status page. Yesterday as someone was printing, it would stop mid-print and the hotend wouldn’t keep temperature. I’m not sure if anyone has evaulated it today, but the whiteboard on top says “offline”

The current lion eating a camera image was Sean’s idea (@zootboy - Remote Surveillance of 3d printers)… :slight_smile:

I was going to to make different images for Midnight and Mendy to indicate that they don’t have camera feeds at all… I may just wait until Mitch does the redesign.

@merissa, I thought it had been at one point… Regardless, you are absolutely more than welcome to post a link to it on the wiki if you’d like… Thanks!

I would also like to possibly tie the status page into iTop so we can show current trouble tickets when the printers are down so people know which one is down and when.

FWIW, it would say all 3D printers are currently down.

2 Likes

Touche’

I hope to be at the makerspace tonight, if Far Lefty is back, I’ll start velco’ing the webcams to the Polyprinters so the webcams will be active.

I don’t want to go through the effort of removing the lifecams that are already on the polyprinters, unless there’s an issue with the viewing angle of the new cams.

Just to be clear, I think 3DFab does a great job keeping the printers up, it’s just not obvious from a ticket system PoV :slight_smile:

2 Likes