Reminder about cleaning up your messes (no matter how small)

The idea is that the first ban is more of a reminder (that could be an inconvenience) than it is a punishment. Then you double the punishment with each further offense. This escalates to a significant time period rather quickly.

In these cases I’ve been dealing with recently, the people were warned first; afterward I revoked their training and require they attend the class again for the equipment used, in which they need to pay attention to maintaining the space appropriately (i.e. the cleanup).

Usually telling someone they’re at risk of revocation does the trick, though I’ve had some pretty blatant violations where I had to ask someone to leave on the spot; my favourite still is some people in metal shop who refused to put on safety glasses, despite at least two pairs being in arms reach. Outright refusal to wear them.

I like the idea of a quiet warning first, then an escalation; if they won’t heed a direct warning then it’s clear they don’t respect whatever the matter is they are dealing with.

The usual quiet warning has resulted in a lot of turnaround on those that sometimes just don’t realize what they are doing, or forget part of the training. And those whom listen learn from it, and everything works out. When it’s outright ignored, however, it’s sad but if it’s not enforced it only gets worse.

The little nudges solve 90+%** of the cases. For example, cleaning the chop saw in the metal shop. Just having a shop vac available under the table there has seen a great increase in people using it without being asked, whereas before it was in sight / reach the chances of anyone cleaning up after their cuts was pretty low.

-Jim

** just a spitball number, I don’t have useful metrics currently though I am looking at ways to build them.

3 Likes

I am not a fan of publicly cutting the hand off of thieves as a warning to those who may be thinking of stealing. Metaphors aside, I too am frustrated by careless, selfish behavior but other than some type of behavioral screening process upon entry into membership, I don’t see a solution.

1 Like

See also: “I was told to organize this equipment and I hurt my back, pay me.”

Maybe if we print out this thread and post it on the bulletin board people will get the hint :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe I’m getting cynical as I age, but you can’t force them to stop and read it on the bulletin board.

2 Likes

make offenders write out rules on the whiteboard

3 Likes

I thought my emoji was enough of an indicator that I’m kidding, but I guess not. People don’t read signs with 3 words on them, good luck getting them to skim a post.

1 Like

I am new to dallasmakerspace, and enjoying my membership. I utilize several different spaces. I am a retired safety manager with background in construction, manufacturing, warehousing, and restaurants. My initial and subsequent impression of the facility conditions were that they were average, much like the average joes garage workshop. In my career, i expended the majority of my efforts at getting organizations and employees to accomplish preferred behaviors (follow rules).

I found the best success is to reward desired behaviors, and punish negative behaviors. And positive and negative behaviors and consequences are clearly defined and measured in a simple system. The best simple system in my experience is the “5 S” system (Google it or Kaizen) used in auto, electronics and warehouses to maintain clean facilities. However, our oversight system may not be a good match to such a system. It might require an outside party to implement.

3 Likes

People around here are always talking about the carrot and the stick and I keep forgetting just how powerful the carrot can be!

Thanks for your comment @Ratastat2 and welcome to DMS!

2 Likes

Using Behavior Modification Science, when an in dividual leaves his work area and failed to clean up, he has recieved a reward for his negative behavior. He is programmed to repeat the negative behavior.
Focusing only on positive rewards will not reduce rewarded negative behavior.

1 Like

Very good point.

Do you have any advice on how this might be handled in our environment?

1 Like

I thought kaizen was a search engine I’d never heard of haha. The carrot/stick is effective in an employer/employee relationship for sure but I think it can end up driving more people away in an all volunteer organization than helping. I’m not saying no repercussions for anything but I do think the “we’re all volunteers” idea shouldn’t just be brought up when someone flakes on something etc… I’d like to hear it more in regards to a point of ownership of the space if that makes sense. I’m not great at getting the thoughts I’m thinking typed out properly sometimes. I only know about DMS because all I literally wanted to do to begin with was volunteer as a clean up person that wasn’t even a member though so I may have a skewed opinion.

Seen in woodshop yesterday.

1 Like

only yesterday?

1 Like

The ‘carrot’ doesn’t have to be large, monetary, or even public sometimes.
Most people just want to be appreciated. A simple THANK YOU for being excellent is often enough. I’ve said that the Chairs are the group’s cheerleaders. So remember to thank those members that go the extra mile when they’re stuck cleaning someone else’s mess. And by all means use the stick for those that don’t.

I want to thank @hon1nbo for busting ME when I walked away from the aluminum saw. He was right. No argument here. I came back and cleaned up my shavings. Sometimes a reminder is all that’s needed, cheers!

4 Likes

I’d expect someone to do the same for me.

I mean, just the other day I found that evolution saw covered in sawdust. It’s not hard to clean things and patience of users to either vacuum or wait for the right tool would go a long way

the EVO saw in the machine shop? That’s disturbing because to access the saw you will have had to take the 10 minute training from someone which should have included the “THIS SAW IS FOR ALUMINUM ONLY” talk. If we find them, they need that particular privilege revoked! While the machine shop does not strictly prohibit wood on the drill press the rule is that the cleanup MUST be immaculate to keep wood dust from swelling due to oil in the machinery. the same would be true for anything else.
This is why we can’t have nice things.

Yeah, Kris and I tried to look through the cameras to see who it was, but we found that saw is a blind spot.

I cleaned up ridiculously, but I shouldn’t have to.

I saw the evo unlocked on I think Thursday. I locked it. It was not a mess. I think some just forgot to lock it.