Recycle Cardboard into Anything with 3D Printing!

Recycle Cardboard into Anything with 3D Printing!

4 Likes

Pretty cool. Is the resulting product almost like MDF?
Could be made water resistant with paint perhaps?

COOL!!! Finally something to do with all those AMAZON boxes!!!

Here is the clear youtube link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ItPfhx3ulw

Hatchers - We could make ecologically sound ammo reloading block / storage container molds customized by ammunition caliber. Consider using a .50 cal standard ammo can as the female mold side and we’d need to print the male mold side. Standard c clamps of the right size as the compression method - or even just put a cinder block weight on top. And bingo - you have custom ammo trays for bulk storage. - Second idea for the female mold side - take scrap brass of the caliber you want - screw the brass down into the storage pattern you want on a board - make wooden bullets to place into that brass - seal this with lacquer and presto - you have your female mold side customized to caliber. You could make a wooden sided block mold for any size ammo block you like in this way too.

1 Like

This is pretty neat.

This part made me LOL (per his intention I am sure):

“The parts are pretty strong and definitely can’t be broken by hand. I haven’t done any quantifiable tests of the strength, but I did hit one of them with a hammer a bunch of times. So uh…yeah”

1 Like

Could use a resin like Minwax Wood Hardener. https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/maintenance-repair/minwax-high-performance-wood-hardener

3 Likes

Ultrasonication (not bath) of the slurry would allow for increased surface interactions between cellulose and binder yielding substantially tougher, shinier/glossier and consistent products upon drying. Nanocellulose fibers are an exciting area of research in the recycling community.

4 Likes

This is the same thing as the fiber cartons that eggs came in before the used plastic foam. Starch, the rice referred to in the video, has been used forever to glue paper and wood fibers. Flour and water was used for wallpaper paste back when I was a boy. :innocent:

It is still used for packing goods that need a little of cushioning but the cushioning material needs be cheaper rather than strong. It is intended for single use then throw it away

It is basically paper. The starch glue is nowhere as strong as the binders they use in particle board or MDF. The paper fibers aren’t as strong as the wood fibers either.

Russell Ward

2 Likes