Recommended settings for Acrylic

Hello, I appreciate any help in advance. I’m looking to cut 1/8" black acrylic. I was hoping someone who has done so might help with the following recommendations

Power setting
Speed
Do I leave the protective coating on it until after cut or take it off before?

Thank you,
Jason Black

Here is a starting place for you. I have cut black acrylic and found it to be no different than clear acrylic.

I have no way to read this to see what it says, but if you unzip it and then open it using RDWorks on one of the Thunders it will populate the settings and you can read them.

It’s actually a tiny little file but I can’t attach an .rld file on Talk. I can, however, attach a zip file!

125 acrylic.rld.zip (4.9 KB)

Of course, you will have to tweak these settings. I recommend cutting something small - like a one inch square - to test the settings.

In this file there are probably three different colored vectors:
Red - this is a vector but it’s a marking not a full depth cut
Green - full depth cut (usually interior vectors)
Blue - full depth cut (usually exterior vectors - sequenced as the final operation)

Assuming you’re cutting (not raster engraving) - definitely leave the protective film on until after the cut.

1 Like

Thanks, I will take a look!!

As you might surmise, I keep a library of rld files for my personal use as initial “settings”. Usually they’re a 1" square with a few colors of vectors. I name them clever things like 125ply, 188acrylic, fabric, or whatever. Then I open them before I cut something and it gives me a starting point for the settings.